Monday, March 31, 2008

Weekend highlights

Friday afternoon, I made a quick stop at Kohl's after work and christened my new credit card with this purchase...



I wanted to wear them so badly on Saturday, but it just wasn't warm enough. But soon enough, I'll get to break them in. Yes, I splurged a little, but I am totally OK with it. A girl's got to spoil herself once in a while, right? Besides, I know I'll get a lot of use out of them, and they're a good name brand (Skechers), so I know they won't fall apart on me anytime soon.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I tried calling my sister twice on Friday, but had no luck either time--the first time, she was feeding the baby and the second time, she had company. No big deal--I totally remember how hectic those first couple days in the hospital are. But she called me back on Saturday and we talked for a good while. It was so good to catch up with her, and hear some more details about everything. I cannot believe I am going to be with her, in person, cuddling her cute kid, in less than a month!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Dawn, Kerry and I (plus our kids) hung out on Friday night while our husbands went to a men's fellowship at the church. At one point, I was flipping through a People magazine, when I came across a picture of Johnny Depp. I called Ari over, and pointed to the picture. "Ari, look. This is Johnny. Can you say 'Johnny'? And he is hot. Can you say 'hot'?" After a couple repeats of those 2 key words, I soon had her saying "Johnny" and "hot" when I pointed to the picture. When Tony arrived a couple hours later, Ari performed beautifully for him. And a little while after that, she hunted down the magazine, and brought it to me, flipping through the pages and saying "Johnny" and "hot" while she waited for me to find him for her.

Of all the things I have taught her, I am the most proud of this.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Saturday was a lazy day for us--we had nothing planned. We did manage to get some things done around the house. (For example, I went through Ari's drawers and closet and weeded out all the too-small 18 months stuff. Some of the 24m/2T stuff is still big on her, but it was easier for me to just get rid of all the 18m stuff in one fell swoop.) In the evening, we went out to the mall--got dinner in the food court, let Ari play in the play area, and did a bit of shopping.

Then my parents kept her overnight last night, since we were there in the afternoon and Mom usually watches her on Mondays anyway. We had planned to go out for dinner, but since we had eaten a late lunch, neither of us felt hungry enough to eat another big meal. We toyed with the idea of going out to see a movie, but ended up going home, renting a movie via the cable box, and eating bowls of ice cream for dinner.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We came home from church yesterday, and I spied a blank envelope sticking in the door jamb. I opened it up, and found this anonymous note, along with this special gift.



Believe it or not, this is not the first time something like this has happened. When we lived in Florida, we came home on a Sunday to find several bags of groceries sitting on our doorstep, with an anonymous note signed by "X." And a few years ago, in this same apartment, we were floored to find a blank manila envelope in our mailbox containing 10 crisp $100 bills (that's $1000, if you're bad at math like I am).

Who says miracles don't still happen?

3 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

Wow! Awesome to finding money! I want your apartment! LOL! ;) Very cute shoes! Are you saving them for your cruise?

Eden said...

Love the shoes! I almost picked those up while on vacation. lol Glad to hear that God is blessing you.

Dave + Jess said...

Cute shoes!! I'm looking at the same ones in either brown or black. Walmart has them for $15 and Payless has them for about the price, too. I just keep thinking about what $15 can buy the baby and it's stopping me from getting them. Maybe I will find of small window of not feeling guilty and buy them quickly!

What a neat surprise to come home to (money!!)! Too bad you can't thank the generous person who did that, but I'm sure they know how much you appreciate it.

And I can't believe Ari picked up on the fact that Johnny Depp is hot so quickly! I'm so not letting you or her around my kid...who knows what s/he'll come home saying?!?!?!