Thursday, March 13, 2008

Movie Quotes Answers and Ari stuff

Last night, we took Ari to the mall play area (yes, again) and let her run around for a little while. She's pretty good about keeping herself entertained there, but every so often, she'll come running back to us, to flash a goofy smile or lay her head in our laps for a quick cuddle before dashing off again.

So when she came over to me last night and laid her head in my lap, I thought nothing of it. Then the next thing I knew, I felt her teeth on my hand. "Hey, don't bite Mommy," I told her calmly.

She looked up at me, and very seriously replied, clear as day, "I bite."

So I did what any good mom would do--I firmly and gently explained to her that we do not bite people and that biting gives people boo-boos and it's not nice. . . .

Oh, who am I kidding? I did nothing of the sort. Instead, I burst out laughing--the kind of laugh where it just sputters out without warning. And the more I tried to force myself to stop laughing and be Serious Mom for a minute, the more I giggled, until there were tears in my eyes.

Tony just shook his head at me while I tried to explain (between fits of laughter) that I didn't even know she knew the word "bite," let alone how to use it relevantly in a sentence.


* * * * * * * * * *


Tony got a couple videos of Ari watching Nemo the other day. For some reason, I can only get the embed code for one of them--it's short, but you can very clearly hear her chanting along with the Tank Gang.




* * * * * * * * * *


And for those of you who care, here are the answers to the Movie Quotes Game, along with commentary from me. (C'mon... you knew I couldn't just give you the answers and leave it at that...)

1. "I'm not a witch, I'm your wife. But after what you just said, I'm not even sure I want to be that any more."

ANSWER: The Princess Bride

Dude, who doesn't love this movie? The hardest part about choosing this movie was settling on just one quote. Runners-up were "This is true love--you think this happens every day?" and "Death cannot stop true love. All it can do is delay it for a while." But I decided to go with the funny quote. My sister and I quote this line all the time, in the witch's squawky little voice.

Who got it right: Mom/Pete, Mary, Eden, Steve



2. "As you can see, the psuedo-facade was stripped away to reveal a minimalist rococo design. Note the unusual inversely vaulted ceilings. This is yet another example of the late neoclassic Baroque period. And, as I always say, 'If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!'"
ANSWER: Beauty and the Beast

You knew I had to get my all-time favorite movie in there somehow, right? I love this line--makes me giggle every time.

Who got it right: Mary, Eden, Steve


3. "Good heavens, child, are you all right?"

"There was a bee."

ANSWER: Ever After

Yeh, yeh, another fairy tale/mushy love story. But I skipped the romantic lines and went for this one. This scene kills me.

Who got it right: Mary, Eden



4. "What would I say to him if he were really here? 'Forgive me. I have never known this feeling. I have lived without it all my life. Is it any wonder, then, I failed to recognise you? You, who brought it to me for the first time. Is there any way that I can tell you how my life has changed? Any way at all to let you know what sweetness you have given me? There is so much to say. I cannot find the words. Except for these: I love you.' Such would I say to him if he were really here."

ANSWER: Somewhere in Time

This was probably the hardest one to get, since it's an older, more obscure movie, starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour. (But I knew my mom would get it.) It's a lovely, heartbreaking little movie.

Who got it right: Mom/Pete, Eden



5. "Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three."

ANSWER: Monty Python and the Holy Grail

This was the movie I had the hardest time picking just one quote from--there are so many great lines and bits of dialogue. So I tried to find a line that might make it a bit harder to guess. This movie cracks me up every time.

Who got it right: Steve

Partial credit to: Mom/Pete, who just put "Monty Python"


6. "I see you're drinking 1%. Is that 'cause you think you're fat? 'Cause you're not. You could be drinking whole if you wanted to."

ANSWER: Napoleon Dynamite

I have loved this movie from the first time I watched it. If you "get" this movie, then you totally get my sense of humor. I love this line, too--ahh, how well I remember the awkwardness of trying to compliment someone you liked in those high school years...

Who got it right: Mary, Steve... [Pete, how did you NOT get this? I am disappointed...]



7. "I remember it, I do. It's there, I know it is, because when I look at you, I can feel it. And--and I look at you, and I... and I'm home. Please... I don't want that to go away. I don't want to forget."
ANSWER: Finding Nemo

Are you going to laugh at me if I tell you this line makes me teary?

Who got it right: Mom/Pete, Mary, Eden, Steve



8. "Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid."

ANSWER: Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

Well, you knew I was going to stick a Johnny Depp movie in here, and I couldn't do that without using one of his lines as well.

Who got it right: Steve



9. "Look, I think it's only fair to warn you that I'm practiced in the ancient art... of origami! "

"Paper folding? "

"Oh... I was hoping you wouldn't know what that was."

ANSWER: Ella Enchanted

I think I have a girl-crush on Anne Hathaway. She is just so adorable and beautiful at the same time. And this movie is a cute twist on the typical fairy tale--if you like Ever After, you'd like Ella Enchanted.

Who got it right: Mary, Eden



10. "How do you all know this song? I've never heard this song before!"

ANSWER: Enchanted

OK, this one might have been a little unfair, since it's not even out on DVD yet. But I love this line--it's spoken by Patrick Dempsey's character... they're in the park and Giselle starts singing, and, just like it happens in all musicals, everyone around them starts singing along. And then he says this. *cracks up*

Who got it right: Eden


11. "It gets worse. My parakeet, Petey."

"Yeah?"

"He's dead."

"Oh, man, I'm sorry. What happened?"

"His head fell off."

"His head fell off?"

"Yeah. He was pretty old."

ANSWER: Dumb and Dumber

The first time I saw this movie, this scene killed me--I laughed so hard I nearly cried. I also love the companion scenes... the part where Jim Carrey is listing all their problems and adds "our pets' heads are falling off!"; the part where they sell the bird (with the head duct-taped back on) to the blind kid who says "pretty bird" as he pets it; and the part where the "scandal" of the dead bird comes out on the news, and the blind kid tearfully says, "I just thought he was quiet!" Other than those scenes, I could care less about the rest of the movie.

Who got it right: Mom/Pete, Mary, Steve

Thanks for playing, everyone!

5 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

LOL! Pete's dying that he didn't get Napoleon Dynamite!

Eden said...

"I bite" is just too funny! Olyvia says "I touch", etc. Olyvia hasn't started biting, so we haven't experienced that one yet. lol

Mary said...

She bit you? I wonder if she saw some other kid do it while she was playing. Shame on you for laughing! Well, I'm sure I would've done the same, cause it just took you totally by surprise :).

Ari is so funny in that video! Josh will get a kick out of it when he comes home :)

Dave + Jess said...

Ari biting?! And you laughing at it?! She's not allowed around my kid! Just kidding, it's around the age it all starts. And I'm sure it hurts, which why I would NOT be laughing!!

Yay, Ari was chanting along with the movie. You tried getting her to do it while we were there, but of course she had other ideas. It's so cute...and clear!

Yep, so not good with movie quotes. I saw most of those movies and I still didn't recognize the quotes.

Anonymous said...

You so left out another good one from Dumb and Dumber: "Slappy, Sammy, Sss....Samsonite. I was WAY off. "