Thursday, March 6, 2008

On the road to a binky-free life

Well, I think making it through 3 weeks of living with 2 sick people without getting sick myself is a pretty good record. Unfortunately, it seems like my winning streak is coming to an end. I've woken up the past 2 mornings with a really sore throat--the kind where you can barely swallow because it feels so swollen. Yesterday, it got better as the day went on, but it was worse again this morning. And my head is a tiny bit congested, too. I'm guzzling orange juice to help counteract this virus--hopefully I can kick it as quickly as Ari kicked her last cold. Remember how I said she was so miserable on Sunday, and even a little on Monday? Well, by Tuesday, she was fine--the runny nose had stopped (mostly) and she was definitely back to her usual cheerful self. Oh to have her perfect little immune system.

Speaking of Ari, guess who went to sleep on Tuesday night without her pacifier? She fell asleep on the way home from a friend's house, and it got me thinking... That's the second time she's fallen asleep in the car without her pacifier, and it's probably just far enough past her bedtime that she's tired enough to fall asleep without it. I figured it was worth a shot. When I cuddled her close for our bedtime song, she was antsy, and when I laid her down, she literally looked around her crib for it. I left her alone, and as expected, she cried. I decided I would let her go for a few minutes, and if she seemed really miserable, I would give her the pacifier. But as the minutes passed, her cries grew weaker and quieter, and within minutes, she was completely silent. I waited several more minutes before daring to peek in her room, and she was on her tummy, fast asleep and snoring. I laid the pacifier down by her head in case she woke up during the night, and left the room, bursting with pride. I've been bracing myself for a battle royale with the pacifier, but Tuesday night gave me some hope. I tried again last night, but she was already in a bad mood before bedtime, so I caved and gave her the pacifier rather quickly. I'm not too worried about it--we still have a lot of time to work on this, and at least now I know that is is possible for her to fall asleep without it.

We have an appointment on Saturday morning with a travel agent from AAA, and I am so excited. I'm sure I will drive her nuts with all my questions, but I am just so ready to get this show on the road. Like I said yesterday, we have some ideas what we want to do, and we have a time frame to work with, so it's just a matter of finding the best deal. I'm going to do some online research between now and then to get some ideas of what types of cruises are available, just so I'm not completely clueless. I still can't believe this is really going to happen.

I am wearing another one of my new pairs of pants from Kohl's--the black ones. I suppose it's a sign that I waited far too long to go shopping when it feels weird to me to be wearing pants that actually fit. It's amazing how a well-fitted piece of clothing can make you feel so much better about yourself. (Or is that just me?)

Today is my littlest little brother's birthday. I don't know how it's possible that he's 18--I remember him being born. We're going to my parents' house tonight to celebrate his and Tony's birthdays together (Tony's is the 8th). Mom made a cake for Tony, and I made the frosting--Tony's grandmother's/aunt's recipe. It's one of my favorite frostings--light and fluffy and not overly-sweet, and best of all, easy to make. And, of course, it's Tony favorite frosting, too. I'm sure he'd prefer it on top of a red velvet cake, but my one attempt at making one was disastrous, and they don't sell the cake mixes for it around here anymore. Anyway, I know he'll like his cake, and it should be a fun night.

I got a text message from the babysitter, asking me if my brother's name was Pete. I replied "Yes. ...??" and she told me she had been talking to Ari about going to eat at Gramma and Grampa's house tonight, and Ari piped up, "Pete?" She is too funny. Hopefully she'll give her Uncle Pete some birthday hugs and kisses tonight.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Yeah, hopefully your sickness won't last long at all--yay for OJ!

Cool, no pacifier! Hopefully she'll adjust nicely when the time comes. When Josh was little he tossed his in the toilet and waved bye-bye to it.

Yay for AAA appointments! You'll probably get lots of info and your brain will overload on what to do. But at least with options you can pinpoint the appealing ones and rule out others. One more step closer to your cruise :)

Speaking of red velvet cake, I bought a box of it yesterday because it was on sale for a buck.

Aw, Ari says Pete's name, how cute is that? Have fun tonight. Pete told me about his cake choice, and I think there'll be lots of leftovers for that one :)

Eden said...

I do pray that you don't get sick. Olyvia is battleing being sick right now and it's no fun!

Olyvia will usually fall asleep in the car without her pacifier, but she refused to go to bed or nap without it. Otherwise, she doesn't use it at all anymore. Praise the Lord. I don't know if you've notice that her pics no longer have the pacifier?!?! If we have any more kids, I'm not going to let them have it! Or at least that's my plan. lol

Hope your AAA appointment goes well. I'm excited for you!

I saw some red velvet cake mixes the other day at the store. I immediately thought of TOny. I'll have to watch for it again and send some your way.

That's so cool that Ari says "Pete"! Have fun at the party!!!