Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Forget regret, or life is yours to miss

On a whim last night, I applied online for a Kohl's credit card, and got approved! I feel like such a big girl now. (So don't burst my bubble by telling me that anyone can get approved for a store credit card.) Seriously, this is the first store credit card I've ever had. Not that I've been rejected so much or anything--I've just never bothered applying for one. But I was at Kohl's with Dawn the other day, mooching off her special 20% off coupon that she got for being a cardmember, and it got me thinking, Hey, why don't I just get my own card? Tony has a JC Penney card, and while we don't use it that often, it definitely comes in handy from time to time. And I much prefer Kohl's to Penney's. With the Kohl's card, you get special coupons every month--and since I'm a huge clearance-rack shopper, that just means I can save even more money.

The reason I went shopping with Dawn the other day was to snag a luggage set. They had a 6-piece set on sale for $64.99, and then I used Dawn's 20% off coupon to save even more. Not a bad deal. Even if it's not fantastic quality (because, holy cow, some of those good-name-brand luggage sets are ridiculously expensive!), I'm sure it will at least get us through the cruise. Not like we'll be using it much before then. All we have now for luggage are 2 rather beat-up suitcases that we used in college... but since we're flying, and then have to get our butts from the airports to the pier, we decided we definitely needed to invest in luggage with wheels and handles. Wanna see?



Not too shabby, huh? I love the color too--we wanted a color that would be easy to spot on the airport luggage carousel. The only thing missing from this luggage set is a garment bag. (Yeh, that thing you see is called a "garment sleeve" and that's literally all it is--just a thin nylon sleeve you can use to protect your garments from the rest of your suitcase.) But we figure we can either buy one between now and the cruise, or maybe borrow one from someone.

I got a couple more good deals at Kohl's too--a new pair of sunglasses (nothing fancy, but my old pair is all scratched and the arms are really loose), and 2 shirts off the clearance rack (one was $8 and the other was $7--and don't forget the extra 20% off!). I almost snagged a pair of Skechers, too, but talked myself out of it, because even with the sale price and the extra 20%, I still couldn't justify spending over $30 on them...



They are cute, though, aren't they? But I really prefer this style--I love the criss-cross strap...



Anyway, enough about expensive shoes that I can't afford...

So tomorrow is the day... the day we go to New York City to see Rent. I am so excited, and I refuse to let the weather forecast dampen my mood. Yes, folks, we have had 2 days in a row of perfect, sunny weather, but tomorrow is going to be sleety and rainy. But at least it's not snow. It won't be a good day to just wander the streets of NYC aimlessly, but that's OK. We didn't really have any specific plans anyway, other than seeing the show and getting dinner somewhere, which both have nothing to do with the weather.

I'll end with another Ari story... I was cleaning Ari's hands and face after dinner last night, and she sat there calmly and quietly while I did so. Usually, she'll squirm and resist, or cover her face with her hands, or anything else she can think of to avoid getting clean. Surprised by her stillness, I commented, "Wow, look at you, my good girl. You're holding still and not screaming."

No sooner had the word "screaming" left my lips then she looked right at me and let out a little yelp of a scream, complete with a devilish gleam in her eye.

I should have seen it coming, based on the fact that the day before, she saw a commercial on TV that featured a lady screaming, and decided to imitate her. But then again, who knew that she understood the word "scream"?

3 comments:

Dave + Jess said...

You guys will be all set for your cruise the way you're preparing for it! Good job, because you won't be stressing about the little things once the date starts rapidly approaching.

I really love the luggage set and the color!! We got red, not black, for the same reason and it's served us well over the past 4 years. Although the quality wasn't great to begin with and we do a lot of traveling, so I'm finding bits and pieces of our luggage where they're not supposed to be. Oh well, it was inevitable.

I think we might have a garmet bag that you guys can use. I'll get David on it and see what he comes up with...now that he has the next 4.5 weeks OFF!! Who said med school was hard and demanding again?? :)

Moz + Pam said...

Great set of luggage & I love the color! Looks like you found some great bargains, too! I hate buying anything full price anymore...love shopping the clearance racks! I agree with Jess, you'll be all ready for your cruise!

Mary said...

Yeah, I like the color of your luggage set too. You'll probably be surprised at how many blue luggage pieces you'll suddenly see going round the carousel. I had a red luggage set for college and thought, hey, no one will have this color. Well, yeah, people do. It's still easier to spot than black though, cause there are sooo many black luggage pieces.

I like the shoes, you should have bought them. Skechers usually have a higher price, but I think they are good quality. I don't think I've ever bought shoes from Kohl's. I'm real picky about footwear.

I like the Ari story. She sounds just as mischievous as Tony ;)