Monday, March 10, 2008

Dreams becoming reality

I've checked with my parents, Tony's talked to Pastor, and I've gotten vacation approval from my boss. So the only thing left to do is call back our travel agent at AAA and tell her that we are all set to book the cruise we put a hold on on Saturday.

Yes, folks, we are really, really doing this. We had a good meeting with our AAA travel agent on Saturday, and we put a hold on a Royal Caribbean 7-Day Eastern Caribbean cruise, visting these ports:

San Juan, Puerto Rico...



Philipsburg, St. Maarten...



... and Royal Caribbean's private beach in Labadee, Haiti.



We both feel really happy with the itinerary--the cruise is just long enough that there's a good mix of days at sea and port days, so we'll be able to enjoy the ship itself as well as visit a few exotic places.

The ship itself is amazing. If you've ever seen commercials for Royal Caribbean, they are the ships that boast the Flowrider surfing simulator and a rock-climbing wall. There's also an ice-skating rink, a full-size boxing ring, a waterpark, a mini-golf course, plus restaurants, lounges and a fitness center. There's even a Johnny Rockets and a Ben and Jerry's on board (if that's not a sign that this is the perfect ship, I don't know what is). Plus, it's one of their newest ships (it first set sail in May 2007), and one of their biggest ships.

Here's a generic picture of what our room will look like (in other words, it's not our exact room):



Oh, did you notice that little window? Yeah, that's not a window... it's a private balcony. Yes, we decided to splurge a little and go for the room with the balcony. I know everyone says you shouldn't go for the fancy rooms because you don't spend much time in there, but we don't care. I can already picture us ordering room service for breakfast every morning (we are SO not morning people) and lounging on our balcony. And sitting out there in the evening, staring at the stars. The thought of being able to not only look out our window every morning, but to be able to step outside into the balmy ocean air makes this vacation sound even more heavenly.

My mind is already racing with thoughts of all the things we need to do before we leave--get passports, figure out what to do with the dogs, maybe do a little shopping for some cute cruise clothes and bathing suits. But we have 6 months to sort everything out, and I refuse to let myself stress about it... yet. For now, I'm just going to stick my nose into the glossy travel brochures they gave us and keep pinching myself to remind myself that my dream vacation really is coming true.


5 comments:

Mary said...

Those ports look beautiful, and the ship itself has tons to offer. I'm sure the time will go by so fast for you guys, cause there will be so much to do.

Yeah, no stressing allowed, you have six months to shop and plan and all that good stuff. I would suggest doing the passport thing first though, cause that can take awhile.

I can't believe there's a Ben and Jerry's on board. I don't think I've ever had their ice cream. I told Josh that someday I need to try every ice cream chain in the US. We'll see how that goes--that's my dream :)

Moz + Pam said...

Ditto on getting your passports ordered ASAP! I'm so excited for you! It's nice to have a dream vacation & then to actually go on it! You must be so psyched! Glad we can help with Ari so you have no worries. Just relax & enjoy!

Eden said...

I agree with Mary, get your passport first. With Spring break and the summer coming it will take longer. No stressing allowed! With 6 months to plan and shop there should be absolutely no reason for stress. I love all the pics! I'm so glad it is all coming together and ya'll will be able to go on your dream vacation.

HOpe you dont' mind, but I think I might take you little counter idea for our vacation countdown. lol

Dave + Jess said...

I would probably like to be on your cruise in about 200 days, it seems much calmer than giving birth!! Just kidding, in case my child ever reads this, I wouldn't rather be doing anything else than meeting you...

Anyway, all those ports sound wonderful and you will be entertained just as much at sea. We enjoyed the ship, but we enjoyed just relaxing by the pools or taking a walk on the top deck because, after all, it is still a vacation and one must try and relax at some point. I'm so happy for you guys and glad that it is all working out. I was talking to D at one point about helping to watch Ari-girl and he reminded me I might be otherwise occupied! Oh well, maybe we can visit...

Gayle said...

Just got back from a Royal Caribbean cruise. You will love it! Read about my room service/breakfast on the balcony experience. http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art56724.asp Bon Voyage!