Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Car, cookies, and cake

Last night, I left work on time, all prepared to go on my merry little way, when I discovered my car wouldn’t start. I trudged back inside, feebly asking if anyone felt like helping me jump-start my car. My boss, without hesitation, leaped out of her seat. On our way out, she grabbed a guy from another department to give us a hand, since neither of us were sure exactly how to jump a car. (I know, I’m lame. But, I know now!) Despite our best efforts, there was no sign of life from my car, so I trudged inside, once again, to call AAA.

Well, it turned out our AAA membership had expired. I had to go through several operators to renew it before they could put in the service call for a tow... so it was a full hour after I’d officially “left” work before the order went in, and another full hour after that before the tow truck showed up. Tony met me at the shop and I got home by about 8 pm.

After putting Ari to bed, I ran to the grocery store, grabbed a batch of those Break-and-Bake cookies, and made chocolate chip cookies. Of course I ate a few, and so did Tony and Wayne, but my main reason for making them was to bring some into work for my boss and the guy who helped me try to jump my car. Yeh, I’m a suck-up--what’s your point? Seriously, though, I was honestly grateful for their help, and I felt bad that they stood out in the freezing cold weather to help me, for nothing.

I should also mention that my boss stayed as late as she could (she had to leave at 6:15 to pick up her daughters, otherwise I think she would have stayed until I left) because she felt bad leaving me alone. And when she finally, reluctantly, left, she told me to call her if I needed anything and she would drive me home if necessary. She’s crazy. But so sweet.

The stuff below was actually written a few days ago, but it fits with the theme of this entry...


One reason I love my job? Because I can have e-mail conversations like this with my boss...

Boss (in reply to my e-mail with pictures of Ari): When my girls were little, I spent hours and days and several rolls of film trying to get a good pic for our Christmas cards. It was so frustrating. What I wouldn't have done for a digital camera in those days! You moms have it SO much easier! ; )

Me: Oh, did you have to walk through 6 feet of snow, uphill both ways, to get that film developed too? ;)

Boss: Why yes, I did! And I walked backwards to keep the wind off my face, too.

Speaking of my job... I found this picture at Cake Wrecks, and while all the pictures are pretty funny, I found this one especially hilarious.



How much do you want to bet that “Arika” is spelled wrong, too? I consider it a small miracle that the word “this” is spelled correctly.

1 comment:

dave + jess said...

Sara, dear, you just might (maybe, possibly...) need a new car!! You're such a trooper when it gives you all these problems...it'd be in the junk yard by now if it was my car!

Love the cake pic, lol!!!