Sunday, December 14, 2008

Birthday #32

So, it was my birthday on Saturday. It was an OK birthday--not the best ever, but not the worst ever, either. I'm sure it would have been better if I'd been feeling healthier, but I could feel myself starting to get sick, which put a definite damper on my celebratory spirit.

Tony and I had originally planned (like, a week or so ago) to leave Ari with a babysitter and go out to dinner or dessert, just the 2 of us, sometime this weekend. But with all 3 of us being sick now, that will have to wait.

Oh, and I got a coupon from Coldstone for my free birthday ice cream... don't let me forget to use that, you guys.

Anyway, back to my actual birthday. We went to my parents' for lunch, and to celebrate mine and Dave's birthdays together (since his is the 21st). My littlest little brother Pete had just gotten home from college, so that was another bonus. My parents gave me a CD, a necklace/bracelet set, a Kohl's gift card, plus a check. Tony picked out cards from him and Ari, for a total of 3 (yeh, he got me 2 cards from him). He told me what he'd wanted to get me as a gift, but said he wanted to let me pick it out. I've been going on and on about wanting a Chi hair straightener, so now I need to figure out exactly which one I want.

We left Ari at my parents' house to nap while we headed to the church to set up for that evening's Christmas dinner. The theme for the dinner was "Dinner and a Movie," so we set up a big screen with a projector linked to a DVD player, and played "Rudolph," "Frosty" and "Santa Claus is Coming to Town." I don't think anyone (except maybe a handful of kids) really paid attention, but it created a nice "atmosphere." When the movies were over, we sang a few Christmas carols (led by yours truly, and Tony, who graciously offered to help me out since I wasn't feeling so hot), played a little Christmas trivia, and called it a night.

Later that night, I spontaneously snuggled up next to Tony for a hug. He hugged me back, and said "Happy birthday." For some reason, I looked up at the clock, and saw that it was 11:12 PM.

"Whoa," I replied. "You just wished me a happy birthday at the exact minute I was born."

Kind of a cool way to end the day.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Happy Birthday! It stinks to not feel so well, especially on your b-day, but I'm glad it was a nice day, and I'm jealous you got to see Pete! Who knows when I'll get to see him again :)

dave + jess said...

I realized later in the day on Saturday that I never said, "Happy Birthday." SORRY! And HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It seems like everyone is getting sick around now. Ari looked so sad with her runny nose :(. Hope you all are feeling better soon!!!!

Steve and Eden said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you are feeling better.