Monday, April 28, 2008

The last half of the weekend

So, when we last left off, it was Saturday night, and I was just settling down from my Weekend of Productivity to watch Sweeney Todd. Anyway, I enjoyed the movie. I don't know that I'd watch it over and over, but I would definitely listen to the soundtrack. It was as gory as everyone said (I found myself covering my eyes and peeking through my fingers a lot), but in the same way, the gore was very surreal. For example, the blood was this very fake red color, and at times, some of the bloody scenes seemed almost comical. I know that sounds like a weird thing to say, but if you've seen the movie, maybe you know what I mean. I did like the way it ended too--a couple twists that I didn't see coming. And I've always been a big Tim Burton fan, so despite my squeamishness, I enjoyed the camera work and the artistic touches and such. And, people... Johnny Depp can sing. *swoon*

Tony and Ari made it home safely on Saturday night (around 10:30 PM)--and considering the shape Tony was in when they got home, I'll say it was definitely an answer to prayer. He told me he felt so sick for the last half of their trip (about 3 hours) that at one point (when Ari was sleeping), he pulled into a McDonald's and caught a quick nap. He thought it was just extreme exhaustion, but once he got home, a horrid migraine kicked in. Yesterday, he was complaining about his whole head aching, just like it did when he had that sinus infection. So please keep him in your thoughts/prayers. That last sinus infection knocked him out pretty badly, and I'd hate to see him have to suffer like that.

All in all, his trip went well. He said Ari had her moments, but then, what toddler doesn't? I asked him how he felt now about traveling alone with a toddler--was it all right, or would he never do it again? He said it was all right and he could do it again. He is so amazing. I don't think even I could handle taking such a long trip alone with Ari.

I got Ari out of her carseat when they got home on Saturday night, and as she woke up, she started crying, "Daddy, Daddy!" It was almost like she was disoriented and didn't know where she was. She kept up the sobbing all the way into the house and up to her room, until Tony came in and showed her he was there. Then she settled and went right back to sleep. She's been really clingy with him all weekend--I keep joking that you'd think Tony was the one she hasn't seen in 4 days, not me. But it makes sense. She's been in a strange environment the past few days, and Tony has been the only familiarity she's had.

Yesterday, we went to my parents' house in the afternoon and ended up leaving Ari there overnight, as is becoming our usual routine. My mom gave me my Mother's Day gift yesterday, since I'll be away this weekend and they will be away next weekend. She made a collage for me with 2 pictures of Ari and 2 pictures of me when I was about Ari's age. In the first pair of pictures, Ari looks just like me, and I was floored. This is the first time I've ever seen myself in her. Sure, we have different color hair, eyes, and even skin tone, but there's no mistaking we are related. I'm going to try to figure out a way to scan it into my computer so I can show you all.

I told Tony last night that I feel like I don't even have a daughter anymore. The last I saw Ari before their trip was last Tuesday night when I put her to bed. Then I saw her for all of 5 minutes Saturday night when I transferred her from the car to her crib. Sunday was church, and I never get to see her much during church. Then we went to my parents, where I spent a little quality time with her. But we left around 4, and I won't see her again until about 6 PM tonight, when we meet my parents and Pete for dinner. Then, of course, Wednesday I leave to visit my sister, and I won't be back until the following Monday afternoon. By then, I'll surely have forgotten that I ever had a kid.

OK, I have to confess to you all that I am a little nervous about flying. Not about the flying itself--I love flying--but about the whole process of checking in, getting through security, navigating the airport, etc. I literally have not flown in 10 years, which also means I haven't flown in this post-9/11 world. I won't be checking any baggage--since it's such a short trip, I am just packing one carry-on (from our new luggage set). But that also means I have to be extra-vigilant about what I pack, since I can't just say "Oh, I'll just put that in my checked luggage." I've already talked to my sister and I plan to mooch a lot of stuff off her--shampoo, soap, razors, etc.--so that I don't have to deal with getting any of that stuff through security. But if any of you have any info/tips/advice that would help me along, please do share.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Here's a tip--don't say the word "bomb" in the airport ;)

Eden said...

Tip: Relax, have fun, and don't worry. Be positive. Things usually will go wrong if you are worrying or stressed. So, relax and be sure to take lots of pics of Matthew!

Praying for Tony.

Dave + Jess said...

There's a lot of hype with the whole getting-to-the-airplane process. We've flown a lot since 9/11 and I always brace myself for the worst and it never happens. We literally fly through security and end up waiting forever in the terminal because we allowed so much time for security. It really isn't as bad as the media makes it sound. After all, they wouldn't have any kind of story if all they could say was that it was easy, now would they?!

A day in the life of said...

Flying is not all that bad! I thought the whole security thing would be a pain but actually its not bad. Have fun flying and chew lots of gum!