Thursday, April 24, 2008

Fight of the Bumblebee(s)*


Random Tony Story of the Day:

Whenever Tony loses his train of thought and mutters, "What was I going to say?", I reply, "That you love me. Can't live without me." Which always derails his train of thought even further. I have such fun at his expense.


Our apartment is being stalked by killer bumblebees. I say "killer" because these are the biggest bees I have ever seen in my life. I'm not even entirely sure they're bumblebees--I've never stuck around long enough to get a close look. I hate stinging insects--HATE them--and these giant ones are the worst. I swear, each one is at least 2 inches long, and super-fat. We bought some foamy spray stuff that's supposed to shoot over 20 feet so you can kill them from a distance. A few days ago, Tony sprayed it all around the outside of our windows, to keep them from building nests.

Yesterday when I got home, I heard a loud buzz around my head as I was opening the door. I ducked and ran inside, not even stopping to think that that might have been unwise (because what if he'd flown in after me?). I grabbed the can of foamy spray stuff (yes, that is the technical name for it--didn't you know?) and lurked inside the storm door, gazing at the sky and waiting for him to reappear. Seconds later, he did, and I pushed the door open and let the foam fly. I was waiting to see the body drop out of the sky, but no such luck. But the foam was making a mess, so maybe I just didn't notice.

Next order of business was letting the dogs out in the backyard. As I was standing there with them, I heard another buzz and freaked. I literally dragged my confused dogs inside ("What? I thought we were supposed to be going potty here. What's the deal?" I'm sure they were thinking), grabbed the can of foam, and headed back outside, awkwardly holding both of their leashes in one hand and the can in the other, keeping a wary eye out.

I didn't see the bee again, so I hurried the dogs inside and waited inside the sliding door. Sure enough, he reappeared, and I slid the door open to begin spraying. He flew up and I continued following him with the spray, only to realize that I was now shooting straight up. I mentioned this was foam, right? I somehow managed to duck inside the door and close it without getting any foam on me. Again, I don't know if I got him, but here's hoping.

In the aftermath of that little war, I suddenly realized that I missed Tony. Killing vicious insects is his department, not mine.

***** EDIT *****

I have been informed that these bees are called wood bees/carpenter bees, and that they bore holes in wood. Which does not make me feel any better, because all our windows are framed in wood.

*sigh* Anyone want to come live with me for a few days and kill some bees while you're at it? I'll make you some luscious desserts...

***** END EDIT *****

He called me yesterday evening to let me know he had arrived safe and sound. Ari only slept about 15 minutes in the car--his A/C isn't working, so he had to have the windows open, which means that noisy trucks and such kept her awake. But he said she was really good in the car--she had her whiny moments, but no real meltdowns. When he got ready to say good-bye to me, he coached Ari into saying "bye-bye" and "love you."

He called me again later at night, and we talked a little longer. He said she was doing great warming up to everyone and had gone to bed perfectly. He had taken a picture of her on his cell phone when she was getting ready for bed, but kept having issues sending it to me. That last time that Tony was away without me and Ari (I think it was for Snow Camp?), I remember trying to send him pictures of Ari at night, and having the same issue. But it's sweet to know he was thinking of me.

I kept myself busy until bedtime last night, and when I went to bed, I left the TV on quietly. I often do that when I go to bed before Tony--not only because I like the soft noise in the background, but also so that it gives him some light when he does come to bed. I set the TV on one of the music channels--the Showtunes one--and drifted off to the sound of Bernadette Peters singing "Something Good" from The Sound of Music. I vaguely remember hearing "Memory" (no, I don't want to talk about how dreadlock-boy butchered it on American Idol on Tuesday night) and a song from "Cinderella" in between hitting the snooze button this morning.

And so today is Thursday--another gorgeous summer-like day (which makes, I think, at least the 11th day in a row). Agenda for tonight (the absolute musts): take a long walk and watch "The Office." Other possibilities on the agenda: work on church stuff (I'm such a procrastinator), clean the house (hahahaha), make a quick grocery-store run (need munchies), fight off killer bees (armed with my trusty foam spray and my superior brain power).

4 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, I didn't know Tony was going to be gone with Ari. Hopefully the dogs behave for you and don't do any major messes for you to clean up.

Well, I can't come kill bees for you, but you can come out here to hide from them for a while :)

Dave + Jess said...

I didn't know Tony was going somewhere with Ari. To his family's, I'm assuming? Hopefully the time will fly by for you. It sounds like you have lots to keep you busy (ugh, bees!).

Moz + Pam said...

Hope you have better luck than we've had getting rid of those bees! We've been plagued with bees for years! If you're lonely come down here! Love you lots!

Dave + Jess said...

Hi Sara,

It's Dave, your annoyingly handsome younger brother. :-)

First off, wasn't The Office hilarious tonight? I love that show.

Next, the bees. I resort to the adage: "You fear what you do not understand."

I found out here that the male carpenter bees are very territorial (probably the scary ones that are dive-bombing you) but lack a stinger. The females have a stinger, but will rarely use it. Go figure. So now you don't have to be scared. Just let them buzz around you and be secure that they will not sting you. Then, just when they are comfortable around you, you spray the junk out of 'em.