Thursday, May 1, 2008

Oh, hi, O

So I made it here safe and sound. Everything went perfectly at the airport--I breeezed through security, and both my flights left and arrived on time. I read completely through A Walk to Remember (seen the movie but never read the book--highy recommend it, too, by the way) while waiting for my first flight and while on my first flight. I had a window seat for the first leg of my flight, and it was perfect. When the plane started zooming down the runway, it was all I could do not to press my face against the glass. As it was, I grinned like an idiot and whispered the word "Cool" to myself. It is such an incredible few seconds--feeling the power of the jet engine, being pulled back against your seat, watching the world fade away from you until you can barely see the cars on the roads. There's nothing like flying.

When I got to Cincinnati, I wasted some time browsing through Borders (yes, they had one in the airport) and talking to Tony on the phone. I brought 3 books with me for this trip, but since I'd already finished one, I didn't want to get too involved in another one. I may need to take a trip to a bookstore while I'm here. (Any recommendations?)

The flight from Cincinnati to Dayton was on one of those small commuter jets--you know, the kind where you have to walk outside to get on the plane, and there's only 3 seats (2 seats, aisle, 1 seat) in each row. I even had to put my small suitcase carry-on underneath the plane b/it wouldn't have fit in the overhead bins. I've never flown on one of those planes before, but it was just as fun as the big jet. The flight was really short too--less than half an hour from takeoff to landing. Instead of reading on my last flight, I made friends with my seatmate, and we chatted about everything from our significant others to school to religion.

Josh and Mary both came to pick me up at the airport, which of course means they brought Matthew. He was sleeping, but I got to sit next to him for the whole ride home. We all pretty much went to bed when we got home, so I didn't get to see Matthew awake until this morning. I held him for the first time, and I swear, he smiled at me! He must have sensed my inner awesomeness. Anyway, he's adorable (duh) and my sister is as fabulous as ever.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some bonding to do.

3 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

Awesome that you got to see & hold Matthew & I'm not @ all jealous that you got to see him first! Enjoy every moment with Mary, Josh & of course little Matthew! Can't wait to see you post pics on your blog!

Dave + Jess said...

Yay, you got there safe and sound!! I love the pics Mary posted on her blog, but I'm sure he's cuter in person. Can you resist those cheeks or are they just too kissable??

Eden said...

Glad that you arrived in OH safely! Give Matthew tons of kisses on those very kissable cheeks. Hmm...a book that I recommend. I'd have to say "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards. It's really good.