Monday, May 19, 2008

Shallow stuff to be happy about (and more)


(Way too many Ari pics in previous entry...)


Shallow stuff to be happy about:

1. An extra $1500 in our checking account, thanks to the government. (Yes, after resigning ourselves to the fact that we were doomed to get a paper check in July, lo and behold, the money got direct-deposited on Friday.)

2. Being able to pay off our cruise with this extra moolah.

3. Cute new shoes...



4. My scale saying 120 this morning. (Yay!)

5. Getting up early enough today to enjoy a bowl of Frosted Mini-Wheats before leaving, thereby skipping my usual Dunkin Donuts run. (And I still got to work 15 minutes early.)


Moving on... Ari's rash is much better. Oddly, the rash on her bottom is nearly gone, but the screaming red marks on her thighs are still there. I told Tony it looks like we beat our child. Good thing we don't have to take her to the doctor anytime soon--we would probably be eyed suspiciously.

Tony visited the Disney Store I used to work at the other day, and found out from my old manager that they are being shut down. Right before I quit there, the Walt Disney Corporation sold the stores to The Children's Place--some kind of crap about how the stores weren't profitable for them and blah blah (it sounded ridiculous to me, but anyway). Well, now The Children's Place has declared bankruptcy--not on their entire company, just the Disney Store portion of it. So rather than let the stores disappear altogether, Disney decided to buy back the stores. But in doing so, they're going to be closing down 90-some stores nationwide. This whole decision came out of nowhere (at least, to people on the store-manager level, like my old boss), and they are moving quickly--the whole process should be completed by the end of June or so. Tony and I have made a point of going to the store a couple times recently, hoping to catch my boss, and we succeeded the other night. Of course, she is upset about it--she's been with the company for 13 years, and she truly loved her job. It breaks my heart to look around the store and see all those tacky "going out of business" signs. Of course, I'll probably take advantage of the great discounts they'll have as they draw closer to closing, but it still makes me sad that I'll never be able to visit my old workplace again.

5 comments:

Mary said...

Hey, being happy about extra money is not shallow, it's smart. It's good you can use it to pay off your cruise. Now you won't have a thing to worry about while you're on the boat :)

The pic of the shoes doesn't come up for me, but I believe you--they're cute ;)

Yay for 120! Boy, the last time I saw 120 was probably in Junior High!

That's sad about the Disney store. I need to find out if the one here will be closing. I'd like to take advantage of going-out-of-business sales too.

Moz + Pam said...

Is the one in WestFarms closing, too??

Moz + Pam said...

Yeah, the shoe picture didn't load for me either!

Dave + Jess said...

120!! I remember those days!!

Cute shoes, although I'm not going down shoe aisles these days so I'm not tempted. I'm in packing mode and if something isn't disposable/consumable than it's not coming in this apartment.

Wow, I can't believe Disney stores are going out of business, it seems like they charge enough to stay in business!! I'm sure they'll have great sales, though, so that's one thing to be happy about.

Glad Ari's rash is getting better, hopefully it'll be all better asap. I'm sure it's no fun.

See you guys on Saturday...D'll officially be a doctor then!!

Steve and Eden said...

120! Excellent. Last time I saw 120 was just before birth control.

Too bad about Disney. But at the same time it's great b/c of all the sales.