Monday, February 2, 2009

Steelers cupcakes

We had no plans for the day on Saturday, so Ari and I had a little girl-bonding time in the kitchen. I got the brilliant idea to make some "Steelers cupcakes"--chocolate cupcakes with yellow frosting--for Superbowl Sunday, and I enlisted Ari's help. She was more than thrilled to be my assistant.

(These first few pictures were taken on Tony's BlackBerry, which is why they're not that great.)

I showed her how to crack the eggs, and it seemed like she was going to try to do one herself, but she chickened out at the last second. Which is probably better anyway.



She was fascinated with (and a little wary of) the mixer.



She kept herself amused with counting while I filled the cupcake cups.



You can hear her super-enthusiastic counting in this video. (Excuse my total dorkiness--I didn't know Tony was taking video at the time.)


Ariana 1-31-09 from Sariana on Vimeo.

When it came time to make the frosting, we broke out the real camera. We attempted a nice mother-daughter shot before we started.



See how she's helping me hold the mixer? She also helped me turn the bowl.



Part of the recipe calls for 2/3 cup of milk to be added slowly... and when it came time to add the last little bit, I let her do it completely on her own.



She was more than a little pleased with herself.



After mixing the frosting, it was time to add the food coloring. I dumped a good bit in, and to my surprise, it was the perfect amount. Look at that gorgeous Steelers gold...



Then it was time to sample... I mean, decorate. Yeh, decorate.



And... the finished product. I tried to arrange them in the shape of a football...



And of course, as you all know by now, the Steelers won the Superbowl! I'm not saying it had anything to do with my awesome cupcakes, but you just never know...

3 comments:

Mary said...

Aw, that looks life fun! Wish I coulda joined you. I can't wait for Matthew to be old enough to help me in the kitchen.

And dude, that is an awesome yellow. Go you!!

Are you losing more weight? You look fantastic!

Moz + Pam said...

Looks like Ari really enjoyed her first baking experience! Here's to alot more!

dave + jess said...

Very creative, Sara (and Ari)! I especially like how you put them in the shape of a football at the end. Go Steelers!