Thursday, February 5, 2009

Conversations with Ari

Just a few samples of conversations with Ari...


Ari: (to no one in particular) Sing "Itsy Spidah."

Me: (starts singing) The itsy-bitsy spider went up the--

Ari: (interrupting) No! Don't sing!

Me: What? You just told me to sing.

Ari: Nooooo!

Me: OK, then... what do you want?

Ari: Sing "Itsy Spidah"... Daddy.


As she was "waking me up" (read: peeling the covers off of me, one by one) on Saturday, per Tony's instructions...

Ari: (to Sasha, in that high-pitched voice that people often use with animals and babies) Hi, Sasha! How doin'? I wake up Mommy, OK? OK.

(She has conversations like this with the dogs all the time now.)


As I settled her down for a nap one day...

Ari: Where Mommy going?

Me: Mommy's going to go exercise.

Ari: Why?

Me: Because Mommy likes to exercise.

Ari: Because Mommy has a big butt?

Me: [insert routine speech about how we don't say that people have big butts, because it's not nice]

(Yeh, this is not the first time she's made that comment to me, and she's also told me several times that she has a big butt. I don't know where she picked up that phrase from, but Tony thinks she got it from me, which strikes me as odd, because my butt is one of the few body parts I don't complain about. But maybe she heard me joking about it or something. Who knows.)


Me: Ari, you're [silly/goofy/weird/cute/pretty/etc.]

Ari: No, I not!

Me: Oh? What are you, then?

Ari: I Ariana Juliet S********!

(I fully admit that I purposely throw adjectives at her just to spark conversations like this, for my own amusement. It's become a kind of game with us now.)


Me: Hey, Ari, you want to go to Target?

Ari: Why?

Me: Because we need to get a few things.

Ari: Why?

Me: Because we're all out of them.

Ari: Why?

Me: Because that's what happens when you use stuff.

Ari: Why?

Me: Because that's one of the laws of the universe.

Ari: Why?

Me: (now with a trace of irritation in my voice) Ari, stop asking why and just put your coat on.

Ari: Hi, Mommy.

(She does this quite often, anytime she senses annoyance in our voices... it's almost like it's her way of apologizing, or making things right. And you know what? It totally works.)

3 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

She's becoming quite the conversationalist, isn't she?! (Did I spell that right?) She's is too cute!

Mary said...

She must sound really cute talking with the dogs like that.

I think Lyvie talked about people having big booties, like her daddy, so maybe Ari remembers that?

When I saw the stars after the "s", I thought for a split-second that she has sworn. But then it clicked (I smart girl :))

dave + jess said...

Ari has a lot to say! I can't wait until Micah can communicate in voices other than whining and crying...I think ;)