Friday, February 6, 2009

Ari's first haircut

Last night was the big night... we took Ari for her first haircut. Her hair was starting to get a little scraggly on the ends and we figured we should go ahead and get her used to the idea of having her hair cut. Even if she freaked out or something, at least we would have tried. There's a girl named Sara who's started coming to our church who just opened up a salon, and I was in need of a haircut myself, so it all worked out beautifully. We figured I would go first so Ari could watch, and then we'd give it a shot with Ari.

Usually when I get my hair cut, I just go for the cut--I don't bother with shampoo or styling. But last night, I got the works. She washed my hair (and I need to remember to ask her what she used, because my hair smells fanTAStic), dried it, and even straightened it, too (using a Chi straightener, which makes me want one even more now). Ari paid little attention to what was going on with me--she was more interested in checking the place out. She was really well-behaved, though, and then finally, it was her turn.

She climbed up into the chair all by herself, and Tony was nearby, armed with fruit snacks and lollipops to keep her cooperative if necessary. (He bought a whole bag of lollipops, so I swiped a few to keep at my desk at work. Mmmm, Dum-Dum lollipops....) Ari's used to having her hair brushed, but any time I snag a knot in her hair, she gets whiny with me, so I wasn't sure how she'd act with a stranger touching and tugging on her hair. She was great, though. She kept turning her head, but that's to be expected, of course. Sara trimmed up the back and sides and even added a little bit of layering in the back. Not a huge difference overall, but her curls definitely look prettier and less messy.

And yes, of course, I have pictures (taken with Tony's BlackBerry)...

I was trying to get her to keep looking straight ahead here. There was a mirror in front of her, so I figured she'd want to look at herself, but she kept looking at Tony whenever he snapped a picture, kept wanting to turn and look at Sara, etc.



But even though she kept turning her head, she never tried to escape the chair or sit up on her knees or anything, which is impressive in itself (especially if you've ever seen Miss Squirms-A-Lot at the dinner table).



When we were done, we showed Ari the hair that had been cut off. Sara asked me if I wanted to keep some, and it's a good thing she did, or I probably would have forgotten.



Blurry, but I love the expression on Ari's face.



So Ari's first haircut is done and over with... another milestone down the tubes. And if anyone's curious what she's been up to today...



Yes, folks, that is black, permanent marker. I'm fairly sure Mr. Clean Magic Eraser will take care of the walls and door (because, seriously, it IS magic), but getting the marker off her skin will be another story entirely. Good times...

3 comments:

Mary said...

Oh my goodness! Have fun with cleaning that mess :)

Hey, it could be worse. That could be her poo decorating the walls ;)

dave + jess said...

What a big girl, Ari!!! I love your new haircut!! You looked so big sitting in that chair :(. Good girl, Auntie Jess is so proud of you :).

And how did a black permanent marker get within reach of a two-year-old? Nevermind, I guess everything is within reach of a two-year-old!

Moz + Pam said...

Good luck getting the marker off her body! LOLOL! She looks so grown up in the hairdresser's chair! What a BIG girl!