Monday, November 17, 2008

My knee hurts (and other stuff)

My knee hurts. I was in the bathroom last night while Ari was getting ready for bed--I forget what I was doing, but I know I was squatting down. I whirled around quickly to reach for something, and wham!--my knee met the doorjamb in a most unpleasant way. It hurt so badly that I actually cried a little. There's no bruise, but that doesn't surprise me, since the pain feels like it's much deeper inside (if that makes any sense). I expected it to be stiff this morning when I woke up, but it felt fine. But now that I'm at work, I've noticed it's pretty painful when I go up and down stairs. I suppose this means I should take a night off from working out.

Tony went to a friend's house last night to watch football--a friend who happens to be our neighbor. He's not right next door or anything, but he is in the same apartment complex. I was laying on the couch reading when I heard a noise at the door--it sounded like someone coming in. The dogs went nuts, as they tend to do, and I told them to knock it off (didn't want Ari to wake up). I waited to hear the familiar creak of the door opening, but... nothing. After a few moments, I got up to investigate. No one was waiting at the door, and there was no package or anything sitting outside the door. Puzzled, I returned to my book. A few minutes later, Tony called, and I asked him if he'd been here a few minutes ago. Of course he said no, but told me he was on his way. I managed to convince myself that I'd imagined the noise, that it had been the neighbor's door I'd heard, that it had been Sasha leaning up against the door and making it creak--anything to keep from thinking the worst. But deep inside, I felt just a little more grateful for those 2 furry beasts.

Possibly-big news... Tony just called me, and informed me that Ari walked into the bathroom, pulled her stool over to the toilet, pulled down her pants and her Pull-Up, sat down on the toilet, and was in the middle of peeing when she yelled for him, saying, "Daddy, good girl, Ari!" (which is what caught his attention). Our potty-training efforts so far have been haphazard at best--it's been more like, when it's convenient for us, we'll put her on the toilet. Certain times of day are easy--like any time we're changing her diaper or right before bed. But we've never gone through an entire day trying to put her on the toilet at every possible chance. We've also, a few times, told her how she needs to tell us when she has to pee or poop--once in a while, she would, but not consistently. And now here she goes and recognizes that she has to pee and takes care of it all without any help.

Hmm. I wonder if she wiped.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Sorry about your knee. I hit my elbow today and winced, but I don't think it hurt as bad as your knee.

Ooh, creepy story. Yay for Sasha and Ivan! Maybe it was someone who lives in your complex and they had the wrong door.

Yay for Ari! Hopefully she'll be doing that more often. I'm very proud of my little niece.