Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I only saw you for a moment today

I had the day off work today for Veterans Day. I assumed this was one of those holidays that most people get off, but surprisingly, it seems that most people don't. Silly unpatriotic companies.

Anyway, Tony and I decided to take Ari to the babysitter's anyway, to take advantage of the chance to spend some time alone. We ran a few errands, had lunch at Johnny Rockets (their chili fries are to DIE for), did a bit of Christmas shopping, and then came home to just chill for a while (which is why I'm here now, writing).

Since I don't have much else to say, I'll end with this. I was chatting with a friend the other day about some poetry we had written, and I remembered one poem in particular that I wanted to find. So I dragged out my Creative Writing Journal. It was a project I had to do for a Creative Writing class in college, but it also became a handy place to store all my writings, so I would always know where I could find them.





(See, I told you I was/am a Disney freak.)

Anyway, as I searched through the (now badly disorganized) volume, I came across all sorts of old things I'd written--stories, poems, pieces of poems, etc. Most are not fit to be read, but here's a short one I thought I'd share.... I wrote this April 23, 2002...

I only saw you for a moment today.
You were blow-drying your hair,
And I was walking by.
I stepped into the bathroom
And briefly threw my arms around your waist.
With your arms raised in the air,
My head fit neatly beneath them.
I gave a quick squeeze,
And you smiled.
That was all I needed;
I left without a word,
An echo of your smile dancing on my lips.

3 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

I remember that journal!! You did such an awesome job decorating it!!

Mary said...

Ah, what a smushy poem!

dave + jess said...

You are a gifted writer, Sara. You should see about getting your own column in a local newspaper!