Tuesday, November 18, 2008

[Choose your own title!]

I was watching Dancing with the Stars last week when a commercial came on advertising the tour. I was psyched--I got really into the show last year, but never heard anything about a tour (so I assume they don't do it every year). As soon as I found out they were coming to My Area, I dashed downstairs to check out ticket prices, thinking that this would make a fabulous birthday* gift for me.

Imagine, then, my disappointment when I learned that the lowest-price tickets are $65. The price skyrockets to $195 for the best seats in the house (though I'm sure you could pay even more than that for VIP treatment or something). I had no idea the show/tour was that popular, especially after so many seasons. I mean, let's think about this, people... I could see a Broadway show, in New York City, in the front row, for significantly LESS than the same conditions for the DWTS Tour. How does that make any sense?

* It's December 13, people.... start shopping now.


We were at a friend's house for dinner last night, and Ari surprised me by happily eating several bites of food. But once she was done, she wanted to get down--and though we reminded her that the rule at home is that she has to stay at the table until Mommy and Daddy are done too, she still threw a little tantrum. I crouched down beside her, trying to get her to chill out, and finally threatened, "Do you want to go in time-out?"

"Yes," she sobbed.

I couldn't help laughing. That's what I get for asking, I suppose.

In a related story, earlier that day, she was climbing on a chair and Tony told her to get down. She did--then she plopped her butt in the chair and told him, "Ari in time-out." I'm not sure if she's not understanding the purpose of a time-out, or just being a smart-aleck. Either way, this is not looking like an effective form of discipline for her.


Speaking of being smart, when we were at our friend's house last night, we asked Ari to tell them who she had dressed as for Halloween. She thought for a moment, then yelled, "Belle!" She started prattling on about getting candy, so we asked her what she had said to get the candy. I didn't expect her to get it, since she hardly remembered to say it on Halloween night, but then she blurted, "Trick or treat!" and grinned proudly.

I should also mention that we have not talked about Halloween or trick-or-treating or her candy in several days, maybe weeks. I'd like to be impressed by and proud of her stellar memory, but all I can think about is how this talent could easily end up backfiring on me.


My car was being a little hesitant about starting a few weeks back, so we changed the battery, which solved the problem for a while. Now it's being reticent again, which leaves only one issue--the starter must be going bad. I am starting to feel, about this car, the way one feels about an aging, ill grandparent--every little thing that goes wrong makes you catch your breath and wonder if this is IT. When I drive her, I find myself noticing (or, perhaps, imagining) odd smells, funny jerks, peculiar shakes and rattles that force me to rack my memory and wonder, "Has she been doing that for a while, or is this new?"

And with 230,000 miles to her name, it's probably a matter of months, not years, before she heads on up to that great Car Lot in the Sky. And when that happens, you can bet that I'll be writing a long, drawn-out eulogy in her memory. I owe her at least that.

2 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

Awwwwwwwwwww about your little car. But she's served you well! That's alot of mileage! A faithful car, huh?

Mary said...

I'm pretty sure this isn't their first year going on tour, but I also don't think they've been doing it since season 1.

Yeah, I don't know about the time-out thing. Maybe it doesn't work for her age yet, or maybe it can't work for all situations. Since she wanted to leave the table anyway, being in time-out would work to her advantage. Can kids be that scheming? They seem so innocent ;)

The Car Lot in the Sky--that's funny :)