Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Twitter: The Extended Director's Cut

Not sure how many of you pay attention to the Twitter feed in my sidebar. Anyway, just thought I'd expand on a few of the topics I've been twittering about...

Tony and I applied for our passports a couple weeks ago, as I already mentioned. Several days ago, Tony got his birth certificate back in the mail, along with a note saying his passport had been approved and would be arriving in a separate mailing. (He also got one of the 2 pictures back, which we thought was weird--why do they make you send 2 pictures if they're just going to send one right back, untouched?) A couple days ago, Tony got his actual passport. In the meantime, no word on mine--no birth certificate, no note saying it's been approved. Nothing. This worries me ever so slightly. I'm telling myself that the "delay" is due to the fact that I was born in Canada rather than the US. But I was born an American citizen (thanks to my mom), so it's not about questionable citizenship. Maybe they just need to do extra background checks on Canadian-born Americans? Who knows.

We went to Kohl's the other day--mostly for Tony's sake, since he needed some new sandals. I checked out the sunglasses, since Ari got a hold of mine and they've been really loose ever since. I found a cute pair on clearance for only $8.80, so I snatched them up. And when we got to the register, they rang up at $6.60--even better. They even fit my face pretty well--with most sunglasses, the arms extend way past my ears, so they always slide down my nose. These are still a little bit big like that, but not nearly as bad as usual. And they have a nice, tight fit, too. The only problem is... it's a bit too tight. They kind of give me a headache after a bit. I'm hoping they might "stretch" a little. Hmm... maybe I should let Ari play with them...

I got a 2-part text message from the babysitter yesterday, telling me what Ari had done. They laid her down for her nap and as usual, took her pants off so she'd be more comfortable. Apparently, she woke up and decided not to tell anyone... and also decided to remove her diaper and pee all over the Pack-n-Play. When Mary found her, she was standing in the puddle, socks soaked, proudly declaring, "I pee!" Mary said she had to stifle a laugh as she tried to explain to Ari that no, we do not do that. And of course, I didn't have a waterproof pad on the mattress. Mary said she cleaned it, so hopefully there won't be any long-term damage/smell. And tomorrow, I will be sending along a fresh sheet for the mattress... as well as a waterproof pad.

I had the world's best lasagna last night. Since Lorraine has been in the hospital, people in the church have been stepping up and cooking meals for Wayne. But it's getting to the point where he has more food than he knows what to do with (especially since his brother and sister-in-law aren't around this week). So last night he brought over one of the lasagnas he'd been given--it was actually made by our friend Jason, a young single guy who's just started coming to church and has been hanging with Tony, Greg, and Wayne. So Greg came over, too, and Jason even joined us. And I cannot even begin to tell you how GOOD this lasagna was. I don't know what all was in it--I do know there was turkey sausage, and even spinach (which I adore)--but whatever the combination, it was divine. I told Tony we need to think of excuses to get Jason to cook that lasagna on a regular basis.

While I'm (kind of) talking about Lorraine... I stopped by to see her after work today. She is moving a lot now--squirming, like she wants to get out of bed. She's not fully awake yet, but Wayne said he had a short conversation with her earlier in the day. While I was in there, she did respond to him a few times--and then there were other times she didn't reply at all. It almost reminds me of when someone talk in their sleep--sometimes you can get them to have a decent conversation with you, and other times, they just mumble nonsense. Anyway, she looks a lot better, too--the swelling around her black eye is nearly gone. Like I've said before, she still has a ways to go, but all these little bits of progress are definitely good signs.

Got a new computer at work today. My mouse started dying on me sometime last week--as in, it would completely shut off, come back on, shut back off, over and over. They replaced it but told me if it happened again, they might have to replace the whole computer. I thought this seemed like an extreme solution to an ornery mouse, but a computer-savvy friend of mine explained that if the USB ports in a computer go bad then yes, the whole thing is pretty much shot. So... today I got a new computer. The IT guy spent probably about an hour transferring stuff and setting it all up. When he was finished, it was perfect--even my wallpaper had been transferred over. He asked me to do something (I can't remember what), and as I moved the mouse, it happened again--that little red light flickered, died, came back on. He replaced the mouse, and all was well--so I guess the mouse really was part of the problem after all. Only problem is... this new mouse? The scrolling wheel is sticky. No, I don't mean "It doesn't spin well"--I mean "There is a nasty, gooey substance on it." So, I e-mailed IT once again (yeh, they are going to love me)... and in the meantime, I'm avoiding using that particular feature. Of course, old habits die hard, and I keep forgetting, and then grossing myself out when I touch it.

My mom told me a few day ago to be on the lookout for a surprise package from Amazon. It came today, and I instructed Tony to open it because I couldn't take the suspense anymore. He told me it was the soundtrack for "Mamma Mia!" and I texted back, "I KNEW it!" I'm all proud of myself for figuring it out. I can't wait to listen to it, too--ever since I saw the movie weeks ago, I've wanted the soundtrack. My mom is awesome.

And speaking of awesome... *looks at clock* exactly one month from today, we will be at sea on our cruise ship. ONE month!



Widgets & Flash Toys
<

2 comments:

Mary said...

Hmm, wouldn't that be weird if Tony had permission to go on the cruise, and you didn't? You'd have to stay home and sulk! Just kidding! That won't happen :)

Yeah, that's a good deal for sunglasses. I have an ultra favorite pair, and I would be so bummed if they broke. Cause then you have to go through the hassle of finding some that fit. And like you said, sometimes they can be too tight for your head and give you a headache. I hate when that happens.

I bought a couple shirts from Wal-Mart that were only $5, and I finally found a pair of jeans too. I've been looking for a new pair for a while, and you wouldn't think it'd be hard to find some. But there are so many styles and cuts and not every brand fits the same. It's crazy.

Gross Ari story!! At least she doesn't make a habit of doing things like that.

Ooh, that lasagna does sound good. I've never had it with spinach, but it sounds like a yummy recipe :)

Moz + Pam said...

I enjoyed this post of random things! Great news about Lorraine! Keep those good updates coming. Can't believe it's only a month until your cruise! Before you know it you'll be there! ENJOY your soundtrack!