Thursday, August 21, 2008

Let the memory live again*

Ari spent the day at my parents' house today, and as we drove home tonight, we hit a little "lull" in our conversation. Suddenly, Ari piped up, "Elevator!"

A bit puzzled, I replied, "Did you ride an elevator today?" (Who knows--maybe Mom took her to the mall.)

Then she added, "I running!"

"Okaaaay..." I replied. Surely she didn't run at the mall.

Then she chirped, "Hopsital!" (Yes, that's how she says it: hops-i-tal.)

Suddenly, it all clicked for me. She was at the hospital with us on Tuesday afternoon. She rode an elevator, and when Dawn and I had to walk out to Dawn's van to get her diaper bag (in order to change her poopy diaper) she had a ball running down the hallway, yelling, "I running!" the whole way.

I continued the conversation with her, to see what else she would tell me. "Who did we see at the hospital?"

She paused to think for a moment, then said, "Wayne."

Of all the people we saw there, she named Wayne first. Coincidence, I'm sure, but sweet nonetheless. She also told me we saw "Pah-sur" (Pastor) and Daddy. Then she spent the rest of the car ride home wailing sweetly for the hops-i-tal, as though she wanted to go there right then. I told her Daddy would take her tomorrow.

I was just blown away by the whole conversation--not only did she tell me a story, but she shared a memory with me from 2 days ago, without any prompting from me.

She's growing up so much.


A short update on Lorraine...

They have taken her off the sedation completely, but she is not awake yet. They've also put her on pain meds. She is moving a bit more, but mostly involuntary movements--eyes fluttering, hands twitching, etc. Wayne said they told him that when they went to take her temperature sometime during the night last night, she frowned at them, and he also told me he's seen her moving her tongue around, so those seem to be good signs.

They want to try sitting her up (I think, partially, to help her wake up), but they needed to do X-rays first to check for injuries. They weren't able to complete all the X-rays today, though--I'm not sure what the reason was, but I didn't get the feeling that it was anything bad.

That's pretty much it--not a lot of news, but a slight bit of progress. And, again, we wait. And pray. Thanks so much for all your prayers and thoughts and kind words.


Widgets & Flash Toys

2 comments:

Mary said...

Oh she is growing up. How neat to have an "adult" conversation with her.

Glad to hear progress on Lorraine. Lord willing there will be even more.

Moz + Pam said...

Still praying for Lorraine & her family. Glad to hear she's making some progress. That's so funny how Ari was remembering her hospital visit. How cute!