Friday, August 15, 2008

And I will dance with Cinderella

"Ari and I danced today." Tony smiled at me as he spoke the words--that special smile that he reserves for Ari, or for when he is talking about her.

"Did you pick her up and dance with her that way? Or did she stay on the floor?" I don't know why I felt the need to clarify. Like it mattered.

"Well, it was like..." He trailed off, looking for the words. "Like in the video."

I glanced up at him, puzzled. "What video?"

"You haven't ever seen the video? For that 'Cinderella' song?"

"I know the song, but I've never seen the video."

Moments later, we were huddled next to each other in front of the laptop, while this video played.

(If you don't watch the whole thing, at least watch until about 56 seconds in--then you can see what Tony meant about the way he dances with Ari.)



Nevermind that it's a father-daughter song. It was barely past the first verse when I started bawling. You can blame hormones, coupled with the fact that I'd just returned from my trip to California and had missed them both immensely. He noticed my tears and slung an arm around me, to pull me close. I rested on his shoulder as we finished watching the video.

I wish I could find the words to express how much this man loves this little girl, and how much their relationship means to me. I always knew Tony would be a good father, but to see the proof right in front of me, every single day, just blows me away. I know I am so blessed--not many men do the stay-at-home-dad deal, and I'm sure even fewer do it with such passion and devotion. He adores Ari--you can see it not only in his face, but in hers. The way she looks at him, the way she laughs with him, the way she plays and giggles with him. They've bonded in their own special way, and it is the most amazing and humbling thing to behold. Sometimes when they wrestle or cuddle, it seems to me like they are in their own little world. Like no one else exists but them.

He said something to me the other day... I can't remember his exact words, but the gist was this: he feels like this bond he has with her is fleeting. Any day now, he expects she'll turn into a full-on girly-girl and will prefer me over him. And he wants to make the most of these moments he has with her, before she turns all her devotion to me.

I just stared at him. "Are you kidding me?" I said softly. "She absolutely adores you. She will always be a Daddy's Girl, whether she's a tomboy or a girly-girl. You know, I tried to paint her toenails several days ago, and she wouldn't let me. But she let you do it. Just because she starts getting interested in nail polish and dress-up and make-up and dolls, doesn't mean she's going to want you or need you any less."

He simply smiled and nodded in reply--as though he knew I was right, but just needed to hear me say it.

I try to tell him, as often as I can, what a wonderful father he is. But I always feel like I struggle for the right words--like my words sound trite and cliched. I wish he could see into my heart and know how much I mean it. I am overwhelmed by the way he loves Ari, the way he pours his heart and soul into her. What he has with Ari--it is rare. It is beautiful. It is a love that I hope and pray will carry her throughout her life. I hope she will always feel like she can (either literally or figuratively) run into his arms the way she does now--arms outstretched, head tilted back, full-speed ahead, knowing he will not only catch her but also cushion her landing.



Widgets & Flash Toys

2 comments:

Mary said...

Oh my goodness! I started crying when he got to the chorus, cause I started to picture Tony swinging Ari around like that. Tony is an amazing father. You two are such a great example for Josh and I when it comes to your parenting.

Moz + Pam said...

What a beautiful song! I've never heard it before. It's almost as smushy as Butterfly Kisses, isn't it? I cried almost immediately! Can you blame me? I've already given 2 daughters away in marriage. Now I'm anticipating my 2 granddaughters, too! It goes so quickly!