Sunday, August 17, 2008

In my daughter's eyes I can see the future

I was sitting on the floor, surrounded by Ari's toys, watching her cavort around me. She was in a silly mood, and as usual, could barely hold still. She danced and twirled about, seeming to be lost in her own little world. I watched her silently, an amused smile twitching at the corners of my mouth.

She spun toward me, approaching me lightly on her tiptoes, like a little ballerina. Finally, when her feet could bring her no closer, she bent at the waist and leaned in, so that her face was mere inches from mine. Her lips were pressed firmly together in a small smirk, as though she was trying to contain a laugh.

I just stared back, not saying anything, waiting to see what she would do.

For a moment, she simply stared, and I saw that look in her eyes that I've seen only a handful of times--I don't know how to describe it except to say it is like I am looking into the eyes of an old soul. She lifted her hand and gently poked me on the nose with her index finger. As she withdrew her arm, her lips curved into an impish grin, and her blue eyes sparkled devilishly at me. Then, with a swirl, she was gone, back to her crazy little dance.

I have no idea what that was all about. Yet as silly and meaningless as that gesture seemed, the memory of it has somehow managed to remain lodged in my head even hours later. And now here I am, saving it in words so that I can savor it again once the image has faded from my mind.



Widgets & Flash Toys

3 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

Cherish those sweet moments with your little girl! She's precious!

Mary said...

Ari's a nut ball :)

dave + jess said...

Ari is funny. I had fun opening presents with her on Saturday. She was quite demanding, "Open! Open!" when I'd take time to read the cards. She got to the point where she's rip off the card herself and try to throw it out before I got to it! Quite the entertainer :)