Thursday, February 7, 2008

Heartbreaker

Ari woke up easily this morning, and was wide awake and raring to go. She was in an extremely animated mood, talking my ear off as I got her ready, and saying "no" to everything. She wasn't saying it in a bratty or whiny way--more like an I'm-experimenting-with-this-cool-new-word way. The way she said it was so cute that I found myself purposely asking her questions, just to hear her say "no" one more time in her squeaky little voice.

In the car, she babbled away, and even sang a little, which was funny, because I wasn't singing at all. When we got to the babysitter's, she immediately headed for the toys. As I prepared to leave, I asked her to come give me a hug. She replied with a very serious "no" as she headed toward me from across the room. As she hugged me, I said, "Can you give Mommy a kiss?"

Now you have to know this about her--I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen her try to give anyone a kiss. Her usual routine is to either blow you a kiss (which, with the accompanying "muh!", is insufferably cute) or offer you her cheek so that you may kiss her.

So back to my story. When I asked her for the kiss, she drew her head back, fixed this breathtaking stare on me, and puckered up her little lips as she leaned in to me. I turned my head slightly so she could kiss me on the cheek. When I pulled back, she was still staring at me, so I said, "Oh, another one?" I offered her my other cheek as I added, "How very European of you." But again, when I pulled back, she was still staring at me with puckered lips. I leaned in to give her a quick peck on the lips, and that seemed to satisfy her. She toddled away, ready to play with her toys.

I called out to her one last time as I reached for the door. "Bye-bye, sweetie."

"Bye-bye!"

"Love you."

"Uh-voo!"

I blew her a kiss, and she returned the favor.

She's a heartbreaker, that one...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwwww how sweet Ari is! She surley is a heartbreaker!

Mary said...

What a little love bug :)

Dave + Jess said...

Why can't kids experiment with a word like..."yes"?!?!?

Anyway, she was all about the kisses today, huh? Too cute. Maybe next time we see her, she'll be willing to give us kisses, instead of her cheek, too! :)

Eden said...

Oh, how sweet! Can't wait to see it all on video soon.

In response to Jess's comment about why they dont' experiment with yes...in MHO, it's because they hear the word "no" most of the time. How often do we actually say "yes" to our kids about anything. lol I think it simply b/c they hear us say it to them all the time and you know how they repeat everything they hear. lol

Looking forward to those videos!