Sunday, March 22, 2009

Let's go fly a kite, up to the highest height

Tony bought Ari a kite a few days ago, and the two of them tried it out the other day while I was at work. Ari loved it, and even flew it herself for a while. So since Saturday was a nice, sunny (though not as warm as we'd hoped, but oh well) kind of day, we went down to the river to try kite-flying again.



Except... there was no wind. Tony made a few valiant attempts, but the kite wasn't having any of it. Which was fine with Ari, who was more interested in throwing rocks in the river anyway.



(Yes, I know her coat is filthy. It was hand-me-down, and it has confirmed my opinion that I will never purposely buy a light-colored coat. Next year's winter coat shall be brown.)



Ari and Tony kept themselves quite occupied with throwing rocks in the river, while I assumed the role of official photographer.



I have a few videos too, but Vimeo is not cooperating with me, so they will have to wait. My apologies.

Saturday was my dad's birthday, so we joined my parents and my brother Dave and SIL Jess for dinner at a nearby steakhouse. I had a bit of a hankering for steak, but ended up ordering chicken, thinking Ari could share it with me. So of course you know that means she wouldn't even touch it. Thank goodness for the salad bar--applesauce was her main course. They brought my dad a free dessert, which he generously shared with all of us. Then my parents wanted to go to Coldstone afterwards, and you all know I can't say no to Coldstone. Plus, when we got back to their house, Mom had made a cake. So needless to say, I ate way too much food on Saturday night.

Today was church as usual, Taco Bell/KFC for lunch (yeh, they're both in the same building--weird), and then home for Ari to take a nap. We made another kite-flying attempt after she got up from her nap, but didn't have much luck with the wind, again. But, again, she was more excited about throwing rocks in the river. Now I'm just killing time until Celebrity Apprentice starts.

This last picture is from today, and it's one I shall title "What happens when you tell your 2-year-old to pick out clothes and dress herself." You can't totally see all the colors here, but she's got a red and white flowered shirt, pink and gray camouflage pants, green socks, and tan shoes with red flowers. And if you're really paying attention, you'll see she's got her shoes on the wrong feet. When I pointed this out to her, she cheerfully replied, "It's OK, Mommy. Don't worry."

3 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

When she was in the car last night she told us all about her kite! She was very excited, too!

Mary said...

Josh loves flying a kite. Once it gets warmer we'll probably make a trip to the park to have some fun with it. And you got some nice daddy/daughter pictures.

Matthew's winter coat is brown, but the only real way it got dirty this year was from him drooling on it. He's not much of a mud-slinger yet :)

Mmm... to Coldstone and Taco Bell!

dave + jess said...

LOVE the outfit, Ari. Maybe you can help Baby Micah pick out his outfits?!

I remember flying kites when I was little. More frustrating than anything else because they never seemed to fly at all or for very long. The beach is the place to fly them with almost 100% success!