Friday, March 27, 2009

'Cause everyone's my friend in New York City

So guess what I did a couple nights ago. I booked myself a hotel room. For just me. In New York City. For next week. Next Thursday night, to be exact.

I had this whole big entry written, going on and on about what a big deal this is for me, but it was probably boring anyway. The short version is, yay I'm going on a fun trip, tackling a big item on my "101 in 1,001" List (see this website for more details), conquering a few fears, and belated-ly celebrating my birthday, all at the same time.

So go on and be jealous, while I secretly stress out about getting there without getting lost, driving in the city, finding my hotel, not getting mugged, etc. etc.

Yeh.... you see why I said I have fears to face, huh?

Seriously, though... I have never traveled alone. (And the traveling I did last year to visit my siblings doesn't fully count, because I had people waiting for me on both ends.) I've never driven in the city, never stayed in a hotel room alone... heck, I've never even eaten in a restaurant alone. There will be a lot of "firsts" on this trip, and I'm focusing on being excited about all that, rather than nervous.

Because deep down under all my silly worries, I really am SO excited. As the motto goes, I love New York. It's been over a year since I've been there, and I miss that crazy city. Once I'm there, I will be fine--I know my way around the city well enough by now, and I certainly won't be lacking for things to do.

And also... I'm loving the thought of a hotel room all to myself. The whole bed to myself. The TV remote to myself. Even the bathroom to myself. BLISS.

I was talking to a friend about this trip last night, and at one point, she kind of chuckled and said, "I can't believe you're going by yourself," in a tone that seemed to indicate I was slightly crazy. So maybe I am. Not like that's news, right?

For what it's worth, Tony (being the awesome guy that he is) is fully supportive of this, so that has to be a good sign, right? Of course, he's more than used to my insanity by now...

Anyway, want to see where I'm staying? Of course you do... It's The Time Hotel, conveniently located right near Times Square...





So now that the hotel reservation and parking situation are taken care of, it's time to start planning the fun stuff... And I've only got less than a week (!) to do so...

3 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

Wow! You're brave going to NYC all by yourself! If you want Tony to go with you we can babysit!

Mary said...

um, have fun I guess. Personally I'd rather go with someone, but your post is called "Soliloquy." I'll bet you're gonna play Solitaire in your hotel, am I right? ;)

Ok seriously, have a great time. It's not my cup of tea, but you and I actually do have some differences :)

Steve and Eden said...

I think this is totally awesome! You are going to have sooo much fun!