Friday, October 31, 2008

This is Halloween

'Tis Halloween, and I am dressed in a fabulous costume. See, the place I work recently amended their dress code to ban the wearing of jeans on Fridays. Yet, a week or so ago, in the biweekly newsletter, they encouraged people to dress in costume for Halloween (as they always have). So, a devious plan took shape in my mind, and today, decked out in blue jeans and a light blue turtleneck sweater, I am... (drum roll, please)... Myself, on a Saturday. Or, as one of my co-workers described herself (and she even made herself a "Hi, my name is" nametag, to make it official)... "I am a person who works at a place that allows people to wear jeans on Fridays." Another co-worked described herself as "Employee, circa 2007." Oh, yes, we are rebels--hear us roar. (Incidentally, we're not the only ones this brilliant... there have been murmurings of this uprising all week long, and there are people in jeans all over the place. Safety in numbers, right?)

I also got a handwritten "citation" (it says, "Sara... jeans... $15") from the supervisor in Editorial, who's dressed up as some kind of security guard/officer--the fashion police, I suppose. A co-worker of mine got cited for 3 violations--jeans, spaghetti-strapped tank top, and flip-flops. The people I work with are so cool.

My trip to Kohl's last night was a success. I exhibited an inordinate amount of self-restraint and didn't even look at anything for myself. (Well, OK, fine, I looked, but it was really more like a cursory glance, and I didn't try anything on, so that's pretty much the same thing as not looking at all.) I grabbed a new pair of jeans for Tony (since most--or maybe all--of his jeans are getting hole-y) and 4 long-sleeved shirts for Ari (who, I've recently realized, has a severe shortage of long-sleeved shirts). I'm thinking Ari has officially moved onto size 3T--at least, when it comes to shirts. She's always been tall for her age, but most of her 2T pants still fit her fine (as far as length), so I've decided she must have a long torso. Almost all her 2T shirts are getting too short on her, and she is way too young to be waltzing around in midriff-baring tops (well, if you ask me, she will always be too young for midriff-baring shirts, but that's another topic).

And that's all I've got for today. I'm 99.9% sure I'll be posting Halloween pictures sometime tomorrow.

2 comments:

Steve and Eden said...

Happy Halloween! Your are such a rebel!! lol

Looking forward to seeing more pics of Ari in her costume!!!

You should totally post a pic of yourself in your costume!

Moz + Pam said...

Yes, I'm with Eden, post a pic of yourself in costume! You rebel you! Sounds like a fun place to work!