Friday, November 30, 2007

Should have named her "Grace" *EDIT x 2*

I got to work this morning, and had literally just sat down in my chair when my cell phone started vibrating. I saw that it was the babysitter calling, and I had a momentary freak-out moment. She never calls me--once in a while, she'll text message me or send me a picture of Ari (today she sent me 2 of Ari playing dress-up), but she never calls.

I picked up the phone, and learned that my genius child had done a face-plant on the hardwood floor, resulting in a bloody, fat lip. Mary wasn't even sure how she'd done it, and I wasn't surprised--we still don't know how she fell that time she had to get a stitch in her forehead. Mary told me the bleeding had stopped, but Ari wouldn't let them get a good look at it (again, not surprising). They were trying to feed her a popsicle, but she wanted her milk instead. Mary said she just wanted to let me know, and I thanked her and told her to call me if it started bleeding again or anything worse.

I didn't see Ari until I got home from work (late) tonight, and she definitely has a fat upper lip. It looks a little black and blue, too. I got a good peek at it when I brushed her teeth tonight (I lay her down on my lap to do it) and it definitely looks worse on the inside of the lip--all puffy and discolored.

Tony and I have a running joke that every good quality Ari has is from him, and every negative thing is from me. She has his beautiful blue eyes. She has my temper. She has his outgoing, friendly personality. She has my picky eating habits.

So we can just add her clumsiness to the growing list of things she's inherited from me. I wonder what her next injury will be.

********** EDIT #1 ***********

In other Ari news, she now says "aww" when she gives hugs. Probably because that's what we always say when we give her hugs or get hugs from her--you know, to encourage her to keep giving them. I thought the fact that she gives hugs was cute, but adding this baby-voiced "aww" to it makes it insufferably cute. It makes me want to ask her for hugs constantly.

I tried to get a video of her doing it last night, but of course, she wouldn't say it. She did give Tony 2 hugs, though, which was very sweet. Remind me to upload that video when I get home tonight.

That is all. As you were.

********** EDIT #2 **********

OK, last edit. Well, maybe 2nd to last, if I decide to add that video to this entry. Anyway...

I forgot to mention another one of Ari's newest tricks. She does this thing where she'll squeeze her eyes shut and then swivel her head and upper body back and forth and all around. We call it her "Ray Charles impression" because I promise you, she looks just like him (aside from the fact that she's a tiny white girl and she's not playing a piano while doing it). That's another one I want to capture on video, but unfortunately, she doesn't (yet) do it on cue.

The end.

********** END EDIT **********

4 comments:

Eden said...

Awww...poor baby. I hope her injury isn't causing her any discomfort. Did she sleep well last night?

We look forward to seeing you all in less than a month.

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwwww, poor Ari-girl! Hope she feels better soon! Now you need to tell her no more facial injuries until we have our family photo shoot! LOL! Seriously, I object to the statement that Ari gets all her bad qualities from you! She looks so much like you as a baby & she is adoreable! I think she has an easygoing personality just like you, too! There are alot of other excellent qualities that she's inherited from you, too! :) Hey maybe she'll be petite like you! ;)

Mary said...

Poor thing! I hope it doesn't hurt too much :( I agree with Mom, no more injuries until the family photos! I haven't had any bad falls yet, and I hope I never do. I am more clumsy, so I gotta be more careful, especially when we start to get ice on the sidewalk.

As for what she gets from you, you know how your kid is kinda crazy? Yeah, she totally gets that from you ;)

How cute that she says "aww" when she hugs! Hopefully you can capture it on video

Eden said...

I came back to see if there were any new post and you'd already done 2 edits! lol

Anyway, that is soo adorable that she says "aww" when she hugs!

I'll be back later to look for those videos!