Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Pay it forward

I was in Target the other day, buying a few necessary items--diapers, body wash, things like that. As I waited for the cashier to ring up my purchases, I noticed a man get in line behind me. The reason he caught my eye was because he was in uniform. I wish I could tell you what branch of the military it was, but I'm not that familiar with all the uniforms--I'm going to guess Army, since it was an all-camouflage uniform with a baseball-style cap (not really a baseball cap, but you know what I mean). He looked to be about my age, perhaps a bit older. I stole a glance at his items, and saw that he had only a few--a rubber ducky (aww, he's a daddy), wrapping paper, and a bottle of water. There may have been 1 or 2 other items, but I was trying to be discreet.

An idea entered my head, and instantly, my heart began to pound and I could feel my face redden (why? I don't know). I swiped my debit card, paid, and then plunged headfirst with my spur-of-the-moment idea.

"If it's OK with you," I said, directing my words at the cashier but glancing at the man behind me as I spoke, "I'd like to pay for his items." I thought I would pass out from the heart-pounding nervousness in my chest.

The man instantly spoke up, with the polished, polite voice of a military man: "Oh, no really, I can't let you do that."

"Well, I'm doing it, so tough luck," I replied with a smile, hoping to sound lighthearted and teasing, rather than rude. I added, "I really appreciate your service to our country, and I want you to know that."

The cashier began scanning his items, while he quietly protested again, and then, recognizing defeat, said, "I really appreciate this."

"Well, I really appreciate your service to our country, so this is my way of saying thank you."

The total was $15 and some change--I swiped my debit card again, and in a moment, we were both on our way. Naturally, we ended up walking out the door together. He continued to express his gratitude, and I continued to reply by expressing mine, wanting him to know that a measly $15 purchase was nothing to me, compared to what he sacrifices by being in our nation's military.

As we parted ways, I couldn't help but think of the people I know personally who are in the military--my brother is in the Air Force, an old college friend is in the Army (and in Iraq right now), an old high school friend is an Air Force Chaplain (and also in Iraq right now). Maybe I felt that this small act was a way of honoring them.

I tell this story not to toot my own horn, but to hopefully encourage some of you to do what you can to support our troops. Whether or not you agree with the war or our president is not the point--the point is, there are thousands of men and women who put their life on the line every day. They need our support and encouragement. They need to know that someone out there, even a total stranger, appreciates that this life they have chosen is not easy.

The holidays are coming--that time of year when we all feel a little more generous, a little more willing to give of ourselves. All I ask is that as you shop for friends and family and plan your parties and festivities, take a moment to think of those who will not be with their families. And if you can, do more than think--act. Send a card, make a package--something.

I guarantee that you won't regret it.

3 comments:

Mary said...

That's awesome what you did--it was such a great idea :)

Anonymous said...

You are so sweet & clever & spontaneuos! You can bet that soldier will tell everyone about your act! I'm sure you made his day! What a great idea! Now I just have to see a military person shopping!

Dave + Jess said...

What a great idea! I know what you mean about getting all flustered, I would have been the same way. But it paid off and it was a great way to make someone feel really appreciated!