Sunday, November 4, 2007

The saddest sound I've ever heard

It's been a busy weekend. We had a church dinner on Friday night, and the food was amazing. Plus they sent us home with leftovers, which was great. Anything that means I don't have to cook is great.

I woke up Saturday morning and could feel a cold coming on--fantastic. What a way to start the weekend. I took Ari to my parents' house in the afternoon, since Tony and I were going to concert in the evening. Mom called about halfway through the concert to tell us that Ari was sick--she said Ari had a hacking cough and was waking up every hour after they put her to bed. The way things worked out, because we got out of the concert so late, we ended up leaving Ari at my parents' house for the night, which I felt so bad about.

This morning, Tony went to get her, and Mom said that Ari had been up every hour all night--and Dad was the one who got up with her. Mom even said that sometimes when she woke up, she called, "Guh-guh" (her word for "Grampa") in this pitiful little voice. I think my parents deserve a spot in the Sainthood Hall of Fame for dealing with a sick toddler all night last night.

I went to church ahead of Tony, and he arrived just before church started, and kept Ari with him, rather than putting her in the nursery and infecting all the other kids. As soon as the music portion of the service was done (I lead the Praise Team, and we were doing a new song today, so I couldn't bail on them), I took Ari home.

Aside from a few head colds, Ari has never been this sick. And this is the first time she's gotten a chest cold. Dad says she has bronchitis. You can hear the hoarseness in her voice when she talks, and every so often, she'll cough really hard and then cry. And even her cry is all raspy and broken up. It is truly the saddest sound I've ever heard.

She's been really sweet in spite of not feeling well--in other words, extra cuddly. And of course, her eating has been worse than usual (meaning she's barely eaten anything today).

So it looks like I'll be staying home from work with her tomorrow, and possibly taking her to the doctor.

As for me, I feel like crap, too, but mine is all in my head. I don't know if we have different versions of the same thing, but I hope so, because the poor little thing doesn't need head congestion on top of bronchitis.

She's napping right now, but I think I'm going to go break a Cardinal Rule of Parenthood and wake her up, to see if I can get her to eat or drink something.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor sweet Ari! She was extra cuddly before we put her to bed, too! I sure hope she gets better soon! We're praying for her & for your cold, too, Sara! Both of you get well soon!

Eden said...

Awww...poor little Ari! It's hard having a little one not feel very good. Make sure she gets plenty of fluids! Keeping you both in our prayers.

Mary said...

Aww, she sounds so pitiful, and I haven't even heard her! Poor baby! Hopefully neither of you will get what she has. A lady in the nursery today was nursing her kid, and this other toddler walks over to her and sneezes this nasty wet sneeze all over her hands. She had me get the hand sanitizer so she could bathe in it--germs are everywhere--ugh!

Dave + Jess said...

:( so sad Ari!! Hope you both get better realllly soon. My entire class had this really congested cough last week and I'm surprised I didn't get it (might have had something to do with the hand sanitzer attached to my hip and/or the stop 5 feet away from me if you want to talk to me rule!).