Thursday, July 30, 2009

Pigs and crocodiles and dinosaurs... oh my

Pre-vacation randomness..


I finally got my hair cut... it was so badly in need of a trim. I have no pictures, because it's really not that different--just got the scraggly ends taken off. Anyway, it feels much better than before. If only this humidity would quit, it might actually look good, too.


I feel like I have done nothing but eat today. Someone brought in croissants for breakfast today, and I had a chocolate one. I had no idea there was even a such thing as a chocolate croissant, and ohmygosh, it was SO good. The reason for the special breakfast is because a co-worker of mine is leaving next week. Our "official" celebration was a "farewell luncheon"--we all ordered Chinese and spent over an hour in the cafeteria, eating and chatting and generally slacking off. And soon there will be brownies for dessert. Sadly, they are mint brownies, which means I won't eat them, because mint is good and chocolate is good, but mint + chocolate = YUCK. But in a way, that's a good thing, because I sure don't need anymore food right now.

Of course, I did swipe an extra chocolate croissant for myself. I'm thinking I'll have it for breakfast tomorrow. Think I can hold off that long? Yeh, me neither.


I remembered (after getting home from work last night and getting comfortable on the couch) that I still needed to get an anniversary card for Tony. (Our anniversary is Saturday.) So I ran off to Target, feeling proud of myself for remembering. (I'd already preemptively apologized to him for forgetting, since I was sure I would.) I mentioned later that I'd gotten him a card, and he casually replied, "Oh yeh, I picked up your second card yesterday."

"Second card?" I said. "You suck."

He gave some kind of lame explanation about how one was a funny card and therefore didn't "count" and I pretended to be all annoyed about him trying to one-up me. Really, though, I think it's sweet.


I was eating dinner last night, and offered Ari a bite of my rice. She replied, "I don't like it." I tried to convince her it was good, telling her there were little pieces of broccoli in it (knowing that she likes broccoli). She simply looked at me and oh-so-politely said, "No thank you." I was so startled by her unprompted manners that I didn't press the issue anymore.


Ari was chattering my ear off yesterday about her petting zoo... that has pigs and crocodiles and dinosaurs... and it's in the ocean. When I asked her how we would get there, she said we could drive. I asked her if she thought maybe we should take a boat, and she said we could walk. I mentioned the boat again, and she went with it--making sure to clarify that it must be a sailboat. Then she asked me, "Does Dawn have a boat?" She is so random sometimes.


Further proof of her randomness... here's a text message I got from the babsyitter: "Ari just told me that when she turns into a rocking chair, she cries like a baby. Then she said, 'Isn't that funny, Mary?' LOL"


We took Ari to the play area at the mall the other night, and at one point, I saw her slide into a car next to a little blond boy who looked to be a little bit younger than her. Next thing I knew, she was tipping her head to the side, grinning at him, and saying, "I'm Ari" while sliding her arm around his shoulders. My daughter is picking up boys already... help me.


Ari kept herself entertained while I was getting ready for work this morning by making a pile of things she wanted to bring on vacation (which she kind of pronounces "buh-CAY-tion"). By the time she was done, she had 4 small stuffed animals and a small pillow (all carefully covered with a blanket), 3 small books, some weird blue toy, her Taggies blanket, and a few other things, all spread out in the hallway. I avoided telling her that we'd already packed toys and books for her. But I did draw the line when she lugged her giant turtle toy out of her room, telling her there was no room for it. Luckily, she cheerfully put it back.


So, yeh, vacation. As soon as I get off work today, we are hitting the road, and I'll be gone through the end of next week. Y'all be good while I'm gone.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I promise I'll be good...just don't teach me anything bad when I see you ;)

I would so try a chocolate croissant. And I like mint and chocolate together, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't turn down a brownie. Of course lately I seem to not turn down anything. If there was a superher named The Amazing Eating Machine, yeah, that would be me.

Moz + Pam said...

Can't wait to vacation with you guys! See you on Sunday afternoon! Sorry to hear it's raining though. It's supposed to be good all week with just scattered thunderstorms on some evenings. Showers are starting when we head home! Sounds like a perfect week to me! See you soon!