Friday, July 24, 2009

Bring me java, bring me joy

Randomness...


We bought some Tostitos and some salsa the other day, and I have been devouring them. I don't know why, but I have just been so in the mood for chips and salsa. And the good thing is, they're healthy. OK, maybe not super-healthy, but definitely a lot healthier than most of the crap I eat.


I was hanging out with Ari the other night, and started singing to myself (a nasty little habit of mine)... a They Might Be Giants song called "Hovering Sombrero."

Hey, hovering sombrero
Gently waving in the air above the meadow
Softly floating in the sky outside the window
Hovering sombrero, don't be shy
Don't
Don't be shy
Don't be terrified

When you take yourself for granted
Feel rejected and unwanted, know
You're never just a hat
You're never only just a hat, you know...


After a few lines, I noticed Ari was saying something over and over, in a sing-song voice, and I realized she was trying to say "hovering sombrero." So I got her attention and sang line by line, letting her repeat after me. She's so into singing lately, even making up her own songs a lot of the time--it's really sweet.


I had a dream the other night that my teeth were falling out. Well, let me back up. I had a dream the other night that I was cleaning up and found my old retainer. I looked at it and thought, "Hmm, I should probably be wearing this," and popped it in (I know--gross, right?). I put it on my bottom teeth (which is weird, because I never had a retainer for my bottom teeth--only my top), and had a bit of trouble getting it in place, since my teeth had obviously shifted over the years. After a while, it started really hurting, so I took it out... and realized all my front bottom teeth were loose--most especially my left canine tooth, which was on the verge of falling out, flopping forward. I remember trying to hold it in place with my tongue, and completely freaking out.


We had our company-wide Semi-Annual Meeting on Wednesday--every July there's the Semi-Annual Meeting and every January there's the Annual Meeting, so basically, every 6 months, we have a major meeting. They always hold it in the cafeteria, where there's a set of bleachers that they pull out.

But this time, I got to sit in a real live chair, up front. Why, you ask? Because every time they do these meetings, they hand out service awards at the end, for anyone who's passed a milestone since the last meeting. And back in April, I celebrated my 5-year anniversary of working for this company. When they called my name, my co-workers whooped and hollered for me, and I got to go forward and get a certificate and a pin, shake hands with the president of the company, and blah blah. I can't believe I've been here for 5 years already.


I'm reading a non-fiction book right now--Which Lie Did I Tell? More Adventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman (the author of The Princess Bride). He's worked on lots of screenplays for lots of movies, and apparently, this book is the 2nd one he's written on that topic. It was given to me by a guy I work with, who knows how much I love to read and knows how much I love The Princess Bride. Anyway, it's a great read so far. It was really neat to read how The Princess Bride came about, first as a book and then as a movie. But even when he writes about movies I'm not familiar with or have never heard of, I'm still riveted. He's writes in a very casual, conversational style, but you can tell he knows his stuff, and you learn a lot about what really goes on behind the scenes on Hollywood. I am definitely going to have to go find his first Adventures in the Screen Trade book.


I bought a pair of jeans the other day in a size 4, which made me happy in a totally shallow and girlish way. However, I tried on another pair of jeans--different style, but same brand--in a size 6, and they were too small. Seriously annoying. I mean, it's bad enough that sizes vary so much from brand to brand, but you'd think designers could keep it consistent within their own label.


I really need to get my hair cut before we go on vacation. It is desperately in need of a trim.


Yeh, vacation... by this time next week, I will be in New Hampshire. We'll be gone a little over a week, spending most of our time with my parents (in their shiny new time share) and my sister and her family. I am so excited to see my sister again, and also to get to love on my cute little nephew. Plus, this is the first real "family vacation" we've done since we had Ari (since we ditched her when we went on the cruise last year), so that should be fun.


Oh, speaking of vacation... Tony and I will be celebrating our anniversary while we're gone (August 1). 11 years. And we'll also be visiting the mountain-top spot where he proposed to me 12 years ago....



The last time we were at The Spot was back in 2005. And that was when we decided to start trying to have a child.

Here's hoping it's just as pretty a day when we visit this time.


Well, I think that's quite enough rambling. I'll end with this video. I adore Kristin Chenoweth. I have one of her CDs, which includes this song, "Taylor the Latte Boy." I thought it was too cute not to share.

3 comments:

Steve and Eden said...

Enjoyed your post! Have fun on vacation!!!! Give lots of kisses and hugs to Matthew from us!

Buying jeans is annoying!

Cute song.

Mary said...

I dreamed about you last night too. I dreamed that after being married to Tony for 10 years, you guys decided to get married. Ok, that makes no sense, but in my dream it did. Anyways, I was the maid of honor, and I kept wondering where the rest of your bridal party came from. I kept thinking, "Where is her best friend, Dawn? Why isn't she in the wedding party?" :)

Yay, 5 years! Congrats, sis!

All the jeans I've been looking for lately have elastic stretchy tops. Wonder why that is...

Oh yeah, your anniversary. I'll have to remember to bring your card.

Ericka's visiting us this weekend, so she's right next to me, and she said she saw Wicked in Chicago with Krisitn Chenoweth and Idina Menzel, and I told her you'd be so jealous of her :)

See you soon, sis! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 5 years & pin & certificate!! Happy 11th anniversary, too!! Can't wait to vacation with you 3!! Can't believe it's next weekend!! :)
Love,
Mom