Monday, April 27, 2009

I don't know what makes your face implode

A few discoveries I made this weekend...

1. The AC in my car does not work. This is perplexing, because it worked fine all last summer. I'm hoping all it needs is one of those "recharge" things and that it's not a more serious problem. In the meantime, driving with the windows open makes it nigh impossible to hear Ari talking to me--which can be a good thing or a bad thing.

2. The AC in our bedroom is on the fritz, too. This is not surprising, because we have issues with it every year... it's gotten to the point where we've given up on calling maintenance about it, because nothing they do helps. Of course, the AC downstairs works great. Maybe we can get the maintenance guys to switch the 2? Though I'm sure as soon as they do, the second one will crap out.

3. I had to refill the oil in my car twice (or was it 3 times?) this past week, which means my car is still leaking oil just as badly, if not worse, than before. I fear for my car's future. Because it's either going to die on its own, or I'm going to kill it out of sheer frustration with its issues.

4. The killer bees are back. I used up the last of our wasp/hornet spray in a futile effort to kill them, so I am now defenseless and I think they know it. I'm fairly certain they are taunting me. They'll be sorry once Tony is home.

5. I suck at making coconut macaroons. Or, I suck at following directions. Either way, my attempt to make them was a gooey failure, and I'm a bit bummed that I cannot yet add coconut macaroons to my arsenal of Awesome Desserts That I Make.

The weekend wasn't all bad/frustrating, though...

I didn't do much on Saturday, which was fine with me. The week felt particularly busy, what with all the running around I had to do with getting Ari to/from various babysitters, so it was nice to have a slow day. Ari and I took a short walk together in the morning, then ran some errands, had lunch, ran some more errands (because I'm disorganized like that), and by then it was naptime for her. When she woke up, it was time to get ready for the church's spaghetti dinner, which took up the rest of our evening.

Yesterday afternoon, I headed to my parents' house right after church. My grandmother (my dad's mom, from Iran) arrived in the States last week, and will be spending this week with my parents. Ari has never met her before, so I tried to prep her for the meeting by explaining who she was going to meet and teaching her to say "Mahmon Bazorg." (That's a phonetical spelling of the Farsi word for "grandmother." "Mahmon" means "mother" and "bazorg" means "big." Heh.) Of course Ari was shy at first, which was no surprise, but she warmed up to her pretty quickly, which was also no surprise. Mahmon doesn't speak much English, but I know a few Farsi words and can often pick out what she's saying (with the help of context and hand gestures, too)--and when I can't, Mom or Dad helps me out. Ari didn't seem to notice--or, at least, wasn't bothered--by the language barrier, and by the time I left, she was happily showing off her puzzle-putting-together skills to Mahmon.

I didn't think to get any pictures (partly because me, Ari, and Mahmon all took naps in the afternoon, and then I got a lovely migraine on top of that), but we're going there for dinner on Tuesday night, so I will make sure to snap some shots then. I think it's way cool that Ari got to meet Mahmon. I never got to meet any of my great-grandparents, since they had all passed away before I was born, and right now, Ari's got 2 great-grandparents.

At one point in the afternoon, I tried to teach Ari the Farsi word for "kiss" (which is "boos" [kind of rhymes with "goose"]), since Mahmon had been saying it to her a lot. I thought Ari was kind of catching on, until she started saying, "Boos, boos... goose, goose... what's a goose say? Gobble, gobble!" Um... yeh.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Josh's AC in his car doesn't get very cold either. There's these canisters that you can pour into it to make it cold, but it doesn't last long.

Kill the killer bees, Tony!

I've never tried making coconut macaroons, but do you know what I can't make? Rice Krispy Treats. I tried once a long time ago, and they turned hard like peanut brittle, so I was too ashamed to try again :(. I should give it one more try I suppose. I remember that it's tricky with the butter or the marshmallows melting too much or something like that.

That's cool that Ari got to meet Mahmon Bazorg. Yeah, you'll have to get some pics of them together.

Moz + Pam said...

Your daughter is both silly & sweet! She & Mahmon Bazorg got along really well! Mahmon Bazorg was thrilled to play with her. When I was changing Ari she looked up to a picture of Grampa (yours) & I asked who that was. I was delighted when she said "That's Great-Grampa"! By the way, you kids didn't seem to notice the language barrier when you were Ari's age either. Kids are so accepting!

dave + jess said...

That car of your Sara's...it never says die! Good for it and good for you?!?

Ari is silly. I like being around her, she's a lot of fun. Micah enjoys her energy, even if you don't! :)

We'll see you all tonight!