Sunday, April 26, 2009

I'm a freak, an apparition


I've been doing these random-style entries a lot lately, huh? I'm not sure why. Maybe I'm more scatterbrained than usual? Or maybe I'm just too lazy to cobble my thoughts together into a coherent essay-type entry? Whatever. You know you love it when I ramble. So, you ready? Here we go...


Do you ever find yourself "forgetting" how old you are? Yeh, I know that poor choice of words leaves me wide open to jokes about my age. What I mean is... does it ever just randomly strike you that you're older than you seem to think? My mom said something the other day about how my brother Dave is going to be 30 this year, and my reaction was, "Wait, he's going to be 30?? Then how old am I?" It's not that I don't know I'm 32 right now... but I guess sometimes I still think I'm only 30 or 31... or maybe just in my late 20s. I mean, it's not like I really think about my age all that much... so when I do, I'm sometimes a bit startled at what it really is. Am I the only one who does this?


I have no willpower. The only thing keeping me from weighing, like, 300 pounds is the fact that I exercise. Seriously.

A friend of mine once told me that she'll keep a big bag of M&M's at her desk at work, and just allow herself a few each day. I can't even fathom that. If I tried that, I would eat the whole bag in a day. I know you're laughing because you think I'm kidding, but I am so totally not.


I was listening to the "Lilo and Stitch" soundtrack on the way the other morning--just got in the mood for some Elvis with a couple Hawaiian songs mixed in for fun, I guess. Listening to those songs brings back such fond memories for me... when I first started working at the Disney Store, the movie was about to be released, so everything in the store was focused on it, including the DVD that was played on the big screen in the back of the store.

Also, if you're curious... those DVDs are on a 30-minute loop... so just imagine how often one would see/hear the same stuff during an 8-hour shift. But you know... I never minded. Must be because I am a true Disney fan. Plus, once I had the entire DVD memorized, it was fun to impress my co-workers and startle the guests by randomly talking/singing along with it.


I'll end with a few Ari conversations... (If you follow me on Twitter, a couple of these may sound familiar...)

* * * * * * * * * *

As we came downstairs the other morning, getting ready to leave...

Ari: There's my doggies! Aww, they're so cute. I like my doggies! I want to pet my doggies. Can I go pet my doggies?

(You would think she hadn't seen them in months, the way she was carrying on.)

* * * * * * * * * *

Just before bedtime the other night...

Ari: Mommy carry me upstairs.

Me: No, you're a big girl. You can walk up yourself.

Ari: (whining) I don't know how to walk!

(Drama queen much?)

* * * * * * * * * *

While watching TV the other night...

Me: (randomly) Ari, you're pretty.

Ari: YOU'RE pretty. You're my cute girl. I love you!

(Can you tell that she's just parroting stuff we say to her a lot? I guess this reflects well on us...)

2 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

Very cute conversations with Ari...please put more on your blog! I can't believe I'm 55 years old..I still feel much the same as I did @ 20, 30, 40, etc.!

Mary said...

Yeah, I totally forget how old I am. In fact, I completely missed being 25. When my 26th birthday was coming up this year, I honestly thought I was turning 25! I guess when you give birth, it kind of erases a year of your life ;)

I have no willpower either. Maybe I wouldn't eat a whole bag of M&Ms in one day, but if it were Reeses' PB cups, quite possibly!

Ah, Lilo and Stitch does have cute, fun music. I think I would have liked working at the Disney store. It would be fun to have the movies and music memorized just because you heard them all day.

Man, your girl is nuts! I can't believe she came up with an "I don't know how to walk" excuse!

Matthew can't talk yet, but he's a regular nutball too these days. Lately when we're in the car, if the sun is in his eyes, he squints his eyes shut and opens his mouth wide and wiggles his appendages all over the place. And on top of it all, he'll laugh and occasionally peek at us to see if we're watching him. He's so weird :).