Friday, October 26, 2007

A productive day

A few of my co-workers are devoted Red Sox fans. While I, in all honesty, could really care less about baseball. But because of their undying affection for the Boston team, I like to mess with their heads, telling them how much I love the Yankees, etc. It's all in good fun, of course, under the guise of a bitter rivalry.

Lest you think I am exagerrating their fandom, let me just tell you that they spend a lot of time making posters and other various signs to decorate our office space with, declaring their love for all things Red Sox. The way our department is, we have 2 big interior windows that are visible in the hallway--and that's where the decorations go, where they can be viewed by anyone who passes.

This morning, I arrived before everyone else, and made a contribution of my own. On a small piece of paper, I wrote "GO ROCKIES!" in purple marker, dotting the "I" with a little baseball. I taped it into the window, underneath the giant Red Sox poster, and waited. Waited in particular for N, the maker of all the signs and decorations, to come and see how I had desecrated her window.

A couple people arrived before her, and people from other departments wandered in, wondering out loud what N would think of the new sign. And when she arrived, she quietly got her revenge. She added the word "AWAY" so that now the sign reads, "GO AWAY ROCKIES!"

We then had the following e-mail exchange...

Me: so how did you like the new addition to the formerly-red-sox-only window?

N: was that YOU?!

Me: i never said that...

N: it was YOU!

Me: i never said that either...

N: YOU YOU YOU

Me: you have no proof...

N: hm. we'll see about that.

Me: ha--is that supposed to SCARE me?

N: i am a cool, calm and collected investigator in search of Truth. if that doesn't scare you, that's fine.

Several hours later, she declined to join the rest of us for our afternoon walk (as usual), and when I returned, my purple pen had been redecorated--it was adorned with a festive ribbon which held a Post-It note (with a cleverly-cut diamond-shaped hole in it), with the words "Exhibit A" written in bold, black marker.

I waved the pen in her face. "You know where I got this pen? HERE. Which means anyone could have this pen."

She merely smiled a semi-evil smile at me, and walked away.

(As you can see, it's been a productive day.)

4 comments:

Eden said...

LOL, you work in a fun office.

I right there with you about my care for baseball. It's just a game.

Mary said...

Glad you got a lot done today. But hey, it's a Friday. Josh tells me that it's hard to work on Fridays, especially as the day comes to an end. He and one of his office pals played a couple practical jokes on each other. I can't remember any now, but they have fun :)

Anonymous said...

LOL! Sounds like you have alot of fun @ work! I'm so glad. After all, if you have to be there everyday you may as well enjoy it!

Dave + Jess said...

I have to admit that I am rooting for the Red Sox, you know, being from the East Coast and all. I can only manage to stay up through the sixth inning, but it's been a fun series to watch...considering the team I want to win is winning and all.

Has your friend considered doing a fingerprint analysis of the tape used to tape that sign up? That might help her in her quest for Truth. I've seen it on CSI: Miami.