Friday, October 5, 2007

I didn't say it was an interesting story

I've been trying to avoid the onslaught of brand-new TV shows that have been flooding the airwaves for the past week or so--not because they all looked terrible, but because I don't have the time to watch yet another TV show. I have too many can't-miss favorites already, like "The Office" and "Heroes," which I often have to DVR and watch later because I simply don't have the time to watch them when they air.

I found myself sucked in to the premiere of "Bionic Woman" last Wednesday, and watched it with mild interest. But when I caught the 2nd episode this week, I nearly laughed out loud at the dialogue--and let's just say, this show is not intended to be a comedy. I was somewhat relieved to find myself hating it--one less show to get emotionally attached to.

But I made the mistake of sitting down in front of the TV earlier on Wednesday night, to the premiere of a little show called "Pushing Daisies." I had read that Kristin Chenoweth was in it, which piqued my interest. (Just because I don't intend to watch these new shows, doesn't mean I don't read up on what they're about, who's starring, and the basic plot.) And I fell for this show, head over heels, before the first commercial break. It's sweet and whimsical, with a dark sense of humor (which I suppose is to be expected from a show whose main character can raise the dead with a single touch, yet send them right back to the grave with a 2nd touch). The scenery has a Tim Burton-esque (a la Big Fish), fairy-tale feel to it, which only adds to the charm of it. I'm not one to go around recommending shows to people, but if there's ever a show I would endorse, it is this. Of course, for all I know, I may end up hating it mid-season, but somehow I doubt that. Its mix of quirkiness, dry wit and "aww" moments are likely to keep my hooked for a long time to come.

And speaking of shows I love, the second episode of the new season of "The Office" was on last night, and I am loving this season so much. This show seriously makes me laugh out loud--it is genius. I'm going to feel deprived when they return to the 30-minute format.

--------------------

Tony ran a quick errand the other night to get a couple things from the store, and when he returned, he walked over to me, hands behind his back, and declared, "I wanted to get you something to celebrate your promotion, and I hope you still like these." He then presented me with a box of Little Debbie Nutty Bars.



I practically lived on those things in college but haven't eaten them in (literally) years. The fact that he remembered my favorite treat, coupled with the fact that I was having a slightly bad day, reduced me to tears. I love him so much.

--------------------

On to a more sober topic... yesterday was the funeral for Wayne's grandfather/Lorraine's stepfather. He was a veteran who served in World War II, the Korean War, and Vietnam, which earned him a full honor guard at the graveside ceremony. I've never been to a military funeral before, and I was awed and moved by the beautiful tradition.

When we arrived at the cemetery, the honor guard was already there--2 fully-uniformed offficers right beside the grave, and a bugler and 3 gunmen a short distance away (sorry if I'm not using the correct terminology here). As the pallbearers carried the casket to the grave, the gunmen presented their arms while the 2 officers saluted.

Pastor conducted his service, which was the reading of a psalm and a short prayer, and then the gunmen did their salute, firing their rifles into the air. When they finished, the bugler played "Taps," which has to be one of the saddest songs ever written. I was looking up information on military funerals online, and found out that it is somewhat rare to have an actual bugler there--oftentimes, recordings are used, due to the shortage of buglers. I thought that made this man's presence even more special.

When "Taps" was over, the 2 officers lifted the flag from the casket and folded it into the well-known triangle shape. When they were finished, one of them carried it over to Lorraine, knelt in front of her on one knee, and said this: (I had to find the words online, because it was so touching)

"As a representative of the United States Army, it is my high privilege to present you this flag. Let it be a symbol of the grateful appreciation this nation feels for the distinguished service rendered to our country and our flag by your loved one."

That concluded the graveside service. I saw the 3 gunmen walk toward their cars and leave, but the 2 officers marched over to the other side of the road where our cars were parked, and stood at ease. The bugler picked up the shells from the rifles (and gave them to Wayne), and then joined the officers.

I wondered why the officers and the bugler were waiting. I saw a couple people shake their hands and thank them, so I followed suit. They were both polite and sincere, but the 2nd one clasped my hand in both his hands, looked me straight in the eyes, and said, "It was an honor." The look in his eyes told me how much he meant it.

I realized the reason they stayed as we prepared to leave... As Wayne and Lorraine's car passed them, they saluted their car--and only their car.

Lorraine had mentioned to me, before the funeral, that she wanted to take pictures of the military ceremony, for the sake of relatives who were unable to make it to the funeral. I told her that I would take the pictures for her, so that she could relax and give her full attention to the ceremony. I was as discreet as possible--I found a good place to stand and stayed there (rather than moving around for a better angle), using my zoom to get pictures of the bugler and gunmen. But I couldn't help wondering if it is somehow improper to take pictures of such a ceremony? Does anyone know? No one said anything (though at one point the funeral director glanced back at me, but that could have been him wondering what the sound was, not a reproving look). I would hate to think that I broke some rules of etiquette by my picture-taking, but like I said, I was discreet, and I was doing it for Lorraine and her family's sake. I really hope I did not offend anyone.

--------------------

And now it is Friday, and a 3-day weekend is in my future. As of right now, we really don't have any solid plans, and that is fine with me. I could use a lazy weekend to catch up on my sleep.

Jack Handey QOTD:

I scrambled to the top of the precipice where Nick was waiting. "That was fun," I said. "You bet it was," said Nick. "Let's climb higher." "No," I said. "I think we should be heading back now." "We have time," Nick insisted. I said we didn't, and Nick said we did. We argued back and forth like that for about 20 minutes, then finally decided to head back. I didn't say it was an interesting story.

No comments: