Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Why I can't wait until Ari starts talking

Conversation with a 3-year-old boy, 3-year-old girl, and 4-year-old girl, after church on Sunday...

3YOB:
*mumblemumbleunintelligiblewords* come fwom?

Me: Say that again?

3YOB: *moremumblingandunintelligiblewords* come fwom?

Me: Yeah, I have no idea what you're saying, buddy.

3YOG: [exasperated] Him said...*mumblemumbleslightlyunderstandablewords* come from?

Me: [finally getting the gist of it] Oh... where did Ariana come from?

3YOB: Yes.

Me: Well, uh... from God.

4YOG: [without missing a beat] Nuh-uh, she came from your belly!

Me: Well, technically, yes, but God put her there, so... same thing.

4YOG: I know how babies get in your belly!

Me: [raising an eyebrow] Oh you do, do you?

4YOG: Yup. You eat a lot of food and then you get a baby in your belly.

Me: Really. I think you should go tell your mommy about that.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Kids are so funny. So, you eat a lot of food and that's it? A baby gets in your belly? Sounds pretty simple to me ;)

Dave + Jess said...

Is that how a baby gets in your belly!?!?! I'll have to go tell David. And to think all these years...

I wonder what her answer would be to how a baby gets OUT of your belly. On second thought...never mind.

I love the simplemindedness of children. We adults complicate things so much :)