Wednesday, September 12, 2007

In order to understand mankind

Just several random thoughts, in no particular order....

My mom just celebrated her 5-year "survivor-versary" (as I called it) of breast cancer yesterday. She is now considered "out of the woods" when it comes to recurrence, which means she only has to be tested every 6 months now, instead of every 3. I am so happy for her, and so aware of how lucky I am to have her in my life.

Speaking of people that I am lucky to have in my life (ooh, you like that transition there?), Ari has learned a new "trick"--she brushes her hair. She reaches up onto the bathroom counter, grabs Tony's hairbrush (no other one will do), and runs it over the top of her head. It is quite cute, and I really need to get a picture/video of it.

I really should never--never--be allowed to roam the baby/kids' section in any store unsupervised. To my credit, though, the 2 new onesies I bought for Ari were both on clearance--roughly $2 each--but still.

My jaw is feeling better. I'm aware that I'm the only one who cares.

We have officially started Christmas shopping. Sure, we've only purchased one gift, but it's a start. And since we're seeing Tony's family at Thanksgiving this year, and exchanging Christmas gifts then, we'll be forced to abandon our procrastinatory ways and shop early.

(Yes, "procrastinatory" is a word.... Because I said so.)

"The Office" is now in reruns (syndication? whatever you call it) on TBS, Tuesdays at 10 and 10:30 PM. I got to watch the pilot episode in all its glory last night. It's interesting to go back and watch the pilot episode of a show after you've watched it for a while and fallen in love with it--it's a whole different perspective.

One of my goals in life is to learn all the words to this song... "The Nations of the World" by Yakko Warner (from Animaniacs). Of course, by the time I do, it will probably be outdated (if it isn't already).



Maybe a better goal is to learn all the word to this song--less of a chance of any of these changing, right?



Someday, when Ari has to learn all the states and their capitals, I am so going to teach her this song. Because that's the kind of cool mom I am.

Hey, you'd better have watched those--I went to a lot of trouble to provide you with that quality entertainment.

Jack Handey QOTD:

Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind." Basically, it's made up of two separate words--"mank" and "ind." What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Ok ok, I went back and watched them :). I'm glad I did too, cause they brought back memories of my childhood (sigh).

So Ari has learned to brush her hair? That's good. Now all she needs is hair ;).

Hey, I care about your jaw. Glad it's feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I care about your jaw!! I'm so glad you're feeling better!! I'll watch the 2 videos at a later date because right now I should be packing! Gotta go. Love you lots!

Dave + Jess said...

LOL! Loved the states and the countries song, I'll have to keep that in mind. We learned a states song, Fifty Nifty United States, in fifth grade and I still remember it to this day. It's amazing what you can remember when it's put to a tune. I was webcamming with my dad when I listened to them and even he let out a chuckle!

Oh, and D loves The Office. They had a commerical for it last night and he was all into it, all 30 seconds that is. So I'm sure I'll be hearing some Office humor in the upcoming weeks and months.