Thursday, September 6, 2007

A voodoo globe

For the past week or so, I have had some stiffness and soreness in my jaw, on the right side. It's not painful--just slightly achy and annoying, and it doesn't hurt to chew (actually, chewing or talking relieves the ache). I mentioned it to Tony once, and declared that I surely had tetanus. "After all," I reasoned. "That's why they call it lockjaw--it starts with a stiff jaw, and next thing you know, your jaw is locked in place, and all your muscles get paralyzed and you die. And I'm sure I'm not up to date on my tetanus shots." His response was what I expected--the sarcastic agreement. "Yes, honey--you have tetanus. Too bad. Been nice knowing you." And I know it's silly to jump to the worst-case scenario like that. But I can't deny that thoughts like that cross my mind.

A quick Google search has informed me that it could be TMJ, which apparently afflicts many people. My symptoms seem to line up: stiffness in the jaw, a clicking or popping sound when opening the jaw (which has only happened a very few times). Perhaps TMJ could even explain some of my headaches--maybe even my migraines. Who knows. But I've also learned that treatment for TMJ is frequently do-it-yourself type of stuff--quit chewing gum (which I don't, anyway), avoid eating foods that require a lot of chewing or require you to open your mouth wide, apply heat, take a pain reliever to help the pain/inflammation, use massage to soothe the muscles. I've also found some exercises online that I can do to strengthen my jaw muscles and help realign my jaw. I love Google.

I wonder if my [jaw pain/TMJ/whatever it is] is related to stress. I've only ever noticed my symptoms at work. Not that my job is particularly stressful--actually, I love my job and we've been slow lately, so there aren't a lot of deadlines looming ahead of me. But I do sit all day, which often results in a stiff neck and some mild shoulder pain by the end of the day. So it could make sense that I unintentionally clench my jaw while at work. I did notice that I had no jaw pain all weekend long, and upon my return to work on Tuesday, it was back. It only flares up in the afternoon--which again leads me to believe that I clench my jaw throughout the day. Sometimes it remains stiff and sore for the rest of the evening, and sometimes not, but it's always better by morning. I'm trying to make a point of paying attention to how I hold my jaw throughout the day, and if I notice it feeling stiff, I make an effort to relax it.

Wow, could I be any more boring? On to other topics. And of course, my mind drifts first to Ari. Tony told me yesterday that he saw her doing the cutest thing. We put up baby gates during the day, and usually keep the dogs on the opposite side of Ari. That way she has the whole living/dining room area to play in, and the dogs can access their food and water bowls in the kitchen or go upstairs. Ari loves the dogs, and sometimes will throw toys over the gate at them, and giggle as they chase them. One of our gates is tricky--sometimes one corner of it will be loose, so by pulling it up a little, you can get it firmly in place. Tony had done that yesterday, leaving a slight gap between the bottom of the gate and the floor. Ari was laying on her tummy, reaching her hand under the gate to pet Ivan, cooing and talking to him. But by the time Tony grabbed the camera, she was sitting up again.

Then, later last night, Tony was in the bathroom, and Ari was fussing because she wanted her daddy. Next thing I knew, she was laying on her tummy, poking her fingers under the bathroom door, babbling at him. But once again, by the time I got the camera, she was sitting up, looking at me, and suddenly more interested in the camera than in talking to Daddy. And once I put the camera away, she whined at the door again. It was really cute how badly she wanted him. It was getting close to bedtime, too, so I'm sure that had a little something to do with her mood.

I just got a picture message on my cell phone from Mary--a picture of Ari on the swings. The other day, Mary asked me if I would mind if they took Ari in the car to the park, the library, etc. Of course I said it was no problem, and I thought it would be great to expose her to different places. I mean, Tony and I take her to the park too, but the more different environments she can experience, the better. Anyway, my point is, I love the Mary sends me messages like that. She's only done it a few times, but it always makes me smile, knowing that Ari is having so much fun and being so well cared for. She loves Mary and her 2 daughters. Now, when we arrive at their house in the morning, she starts smiling and wiggling as I get her out of the carseat--as though she just can't wait to see them and start having fun.

I stole some pictures of Ari from my sister-in-law Jess's blog. I'm sure she won't mind...

I took this one. Talk about snapping it at the perfect moment...



At Jess's parents' house--Ari loved this grate, and had to keep stepping on it or poking her fingers in it.



More popsicle pictures. That's Jess's mom holding her--the popsicle was her idea. As she said, she figured it was a sure-fire way to get to hold Ari for a few minutes.



And this was Ari's reaction when she bit off a big chunk. Shortly after this was when she lost interest. I wonder if she got a brain freeze?



And last, but not least... the Jack Handey QOTD:

Too bad you can't buy a voodoo globe so that you could make the earth spin real fast and freak everybody out.

4 comments:

Eden said...

Hope your jaw gets to feeling better. That so good that Mary sends you pics of Ari while your at work on occassion!

Love the pics of Ari!!!

Mary said...

Oh, I was wondering what was going on with Ari's face in that one picture. I commented on it in Jess's blog--thanx for explaining!

There's been times where I've had a sore jaw. I noticed it while I was going to school here. I'd be driving home and I'd notice that I was tensing my jaw. I think it was a combo of concentrating in classes and focusing on the highway. So yeah, I feel your pain, sista!

Anonymous said...

Hey Sara! I feel your pain & must admit you get your jaw pain from me. Sorry! When I was in my 20's-30's I was plagued by the same thing. Some nights I would wake up with my jaw locked open (I must have yawned in my sleep)! Both a scary & painful experience. As soon as I stopped chewing gum or anything that required alot of chewing it went away, thankfully! Hopefully yours will clear up soon, too!

Dave + Jess said...

Your poor jaw, Sara! Sounds like you have it under control though, thanks in large part to Google.

Do you still want me to send you Ari pictures? I think I have a few more. I was too lazy to put captions by the pics on my blog, but I loved the one of Ari by the vent. I keep picturing her sitting there banging on it or stepping on it or stopping by it when the AC turned on. Too cute, as usual!