Wednesday, September 26, 2007

If you're a horse

About Ari

Last night, we watched Signing Time Volume 1. And by "we" I mean "me." I watched, while Ari did laps around the room. She paid attention at first, because the intro features some peppy music, but then she was off. I made a point of getting her attention when they did "more" (since she knows that one--I thought she might be excited to see something familiar) and "dog" (for obvious reasons). Overall, she wasn't too impressed. But it was educational for me, so it wasn't a total waste of time.

This morning, we took Ari to the doctor to get her stitch removed. They weighed her (23 pounds, 1 ounce) and then took her temperature. They took it in her armpit, which meant Tony had to hold her arm down in order to keep the thermometer in place. Ari didn't like that one bit, and she struggled and whined the whole time. Which was her warm-up for the actual stitch removal. Tony held her arms while I held her head as still as I could. It took the doctor a moment to get a hold of the stitch, but once she did, it was gone in a flash. A dab of antibiotic ointment and a bandage, and the ordeal was over. The way Ari carried on, you would have thought we were torturing her. And when Tony and I got her dressed afterwards (we had to strip her down to be weighed), she protested much more than usual--poor thing probably thought we were going to attack her head again. But the wound looks good--it's scabbed over and seems to be healing nicely.

I really feel sad about this whole situation. Of course I feel guilty--any parent feels guilty when their kids gets hurt. But mostly I feel sad. Since she was born, I have marveled at her perfect skin--so soft, so unmarred by injury. I know that, due to me, she is doomed to have horrific acne as a teen, but I had hoped that until then, she would be able to enjoy flawless skin. I don't think it would have bothered me as much if she had gotten a cut on her arm and leg. But the fact that it's on her face--in such an obvious place--is what makes me sad. Baby girl, I'm sorry you had to give up your perfect face so soon. But if you ever ask me why you have a scar, I will look you right in the eye and say, "Well, it's because you wouldn't wear a hat to protect your skin from the sun." Because that's the kind of good parent I am.

Not About Ari

I have to turn in my self-evaluation to my boss today. I hate doing these, but then again, who really likes stuff like this? A resume is bad enough, but at least that's mostly bullet-like points and short, incomplete sentences. This self-evaluation is like an essay on Why I Rule. And the fact that my job title is "proofreader" makes me even more nervous about it--I mean, how awful and incompetent would it look for me to have a typo in there? But on the plus side, this means my yearly review is coming up, which should mean a raise.

I made cookies last night and brought them in to work today. Which is merely a coincidence, not an attempt to butter up my boss before my yearly review.

My tummy has been feeling especially flabby the past few days. But the number on the scale remains the same. Which leads me to believe that the sit-ups I've been neglecting to do because I was sure they were doing nothing for my abs were perhaps doing more than I thought they were. Which means I'll have to start doing them again. Darn it.

This has been the big season premiere week for many TV shows, including some of my faves. I watched "Heroes" on Monday night and got all giddy and squealy when it started, and shouted, "No!" at the TV when it ended (in my opinion) too soon. "The Office" premieres tomorrow night, and I am clearing my schedule to watch it "live"--but I will still DVR it and possibly watch it a second time. Because I'm a geek like that.

Last night, I was in the shower, and Tony poked his head in to ask me if I meant for the DVR to be taping reruns of "The Office." I told him yes because there are a few episodes I've never seen. I didn't tell him it was also because I will re-watch the ones I've already seen. Of course, he already knows what a geek I am, so I might as well have said it.

I am cooking up a crafty plan for our next date night, but I'm not sure if it will all work out. But that means I will obsess about it for several days because that's what I do when I hatch a plan--I dwell on it, obsess over it, and lose sleep until it either all falls into place, or all falls through. Really, though, it is one of the most scathingly brilliant ideas I've ever had.

Kudos to anyone who can tell me where the phrase "I've just had the most scathingly brilliant idea" comes from. (I think my sister is possibly the only person who stands a chance here.)

Hey, no Googling allowed. Cheaters.

Jack Handey QOTD:

If you're a horse, and someone gets on you, and falls off, and then gets right back on you, I think you should buck him off right away.

4 comments:

Eden said...

Ari did the same thing Olyvia did when I first introduced her to Signing Time. It usually takes about 5 times for Olyvia to finally take noticed and then she'll watch them. She never watches them all the way through at one sitting. She gets distracted and starts playing with something else and then she runs back over and sits down and watches a littler more for a couple of minutes, and then she's off again. But that is what they do at this age. lol Of course, now she asks for the dvds to be put on. They are definitly educational for you as a parent too. I've had several friends here give up on the dvds b/c their child didn't pay attention to them the first time, but I encourage them to let it play about 5 times before expecting any positive reaction from their child. So far, the ones that have tried it again, have had success!!!! lol

Sit ups are fun! I like doing them, although I am afraid that they do nothing for my tummy. My Dr. says that it will take 2-3 hours of time throughout the day to get my tummy back in shape b/c that's just the way it is after a c-section. Who has that kind of time? I certainly don't; but I do exercise for an hour or more everyday.

I'm sure you will get the evaluation that you deserve. You are a good hard-working gal! It will pay off.

Have fun with your upcoming date night!!!!

Anonymous said...

I tried googling it-it doesn't work! You're a hard-worker & I know that your employer knows that! Yayyyyy for a raise! You're in great shape for having had a baby!

Dave + Jess said...

Ari still has a perfect face!!!!!!!! (Give it 27 kisses for me, please). Kids get bumps and bruises all the time, it's part of growing up. Ask your dr, but I think Neosporin or some other kind of ointment can prevent scarring...if that's what you're worried about. Otherwise, it will heal, and the best part...Ari won't even remember!

So...what's this crafty plan you're cooking up? Huh? Huh?

Mary said...

Oo, oo, I know, I know!!! The Trouble with Angels is the movie, and the line was spoken by Haley Mills :) You know, I probably wouldn't have remembered that except that I caught it on TV a few weeks back and watched it for a while. Before you even said who can name the movie, once I saw that you used the phrase "scathingly brilliant idea" I was like, hey, I know that line! I'm such a nerd!

So, what's the deal with the date night? You get us all worked up about how wonderful it's going to be, and then you don't say what you will do. I won't tell Tony, I promise ;)

Hey, if Ari does have a scar, she's got plenty of years for it to fade, so it will be like she didn't have one. Or just give her bangs when she grows some hair, and then you can cover it up :)