Friday, October 30, 2009

It pays to procrastinate


I have a container of chocolate pudding that has been sitting on my desk for about a week now. I brought it as part of my lunch one day and never got around to eating it. And haven't gotten around to it since then, either. This really worries me. What's wrong with me, that I would leave chocolate pudding untouched for so long?


Speaking of chocolate, my co-worker's boyfriend just handed me a bag of candy for Ari, for Halloween. I know him, through her, but he works in another department, so we don't really know each other that well. How sweet is that, though?

Of course, now I have to be strong and resist the urge to break into this bag and start snacking on the candy. Think I can last the whole day? Yeh, I don't think so either. And it's not like Ari would know.

Gah, I'm evil. I need to hide this bag from myself.


I was so bummed on Wednesday night to discover that "Glee" would not be on, due to the fact that Fox was carrying Game 1 of the World Series. I was so looking forward to it that night. I had a dream about "Glee" that night too--all I can remember is that Rachel and Finn were wearing blond wigs for a performance. Weird.

But I learned that the cast of "Glee" will be singing the National Anthem at Game 3, which is tomorrow night. I'll be out trick-or-treating with the kidlet, but I've got my DVR set.


Our neighbors across the street gave us a rotisserie chicken for dinner last night. They are an elderly couple, and so sweet--he's the one who helped me the other day when my car doors were frozen shut. They've started coming to our church, too. Anyway, right next door to us is an elderly lady who just lost her husband earlier this year--and our neighbor across the street helps her with yardwork. Well, since we moved in, he and Tony have been kind of a team--between the 2 of them, they take care of all 3 yards, sharing rakes and leaf blowers and lawnmowers and such. I think the chicken was our neighbors' way of thanking Tony for all his help. I thought it was such a nice gesture. It's a blessing to have good neighbors.


From Reader's Digest... This cracked me up...

We should have a way of telling people they have bad breath without hurting their feelings: "Well, I'm bored. Let's go brush our teeth." Or, "I've got to make a phone call. Hold this gum in your mouth." ~ Comic Brad Stine


You know how sometimes you're driving along, going with the flow of traffic, when someone comes zooming up behind you, then flies by you and everyone else, weaving and racing and just generally driving like an idiot? And you know how, when you see that, sometimes you just shake your head and think, "Geez, that guy is going to kill someone. Where's a cop when you need them?"? That happened to me as I was driving home yesterday... I was going about 70-75, following a few cars, when out of nowhere, this jerk in an SUV flies past us. He had to be going at least 90 or so. Next thing I know, the car in front of me, which up until then had looked like an average silver sedan, turned on its lights and started chasing the guy. Yup, I was right behind an unmarked cop car. And a few minutes later, I saw him and the SUV guy both pulled over by the side of the road. And I had to laugh. Because I'm mean like that.


I saved the best story for last...

A few days ago, I logged into AOL and one of their headlines was that Southwest Airlines was having a huge 72-hour sale, with tickets as low as $25 one way. I clicked on it to check it out, since I've been wanting to figure out a way to visit my sister after she has her baby. I wasn't too optimistic, because you know how it is with deals like this--it's only certain cities, only certain dates, etc. So I did a little roaming around and discovered that, based on the distance I was going, tickets would be $75 each way. Which is still not a bad deal. They had flights leaving from the airports I needed, and even the travel dates were perfect--I'd have to travel either the first 2 weeks of December, or January or February of next year.

So I talked it over with Tony, who said, "Go for it." My next order of business was to call my sister. She and I went back and forth for a while, figuring out a few details, and I made a note to talk to my boss the next day about getting the time off work. My boss was totally cool, as always, and told me to book the tickets first and then make the vacation request.

Everything was falling into place, so I planned to book the tickets on Wednesday night. But I wasn't feeling too well and ended up just putting it off. Then last night, I got online around 10--I had to do it last night because the sale ended at midnight. I had already checked out different travel dates and itineraries and such, so I breezed through the first couple steps. Then I was surprised to find that the tickets were no longer $75 each way... they were $50 each way! I have no idea why--maybe because it was so close to the end of the sale? I double- and triple-checked all the info--the dates, the airports, etc.--just to make sure I hadn't made a mistake, but it was for real. Needless to say, I booked the tickets immediately.

So now all I need to do is pray like crazy that there is no winter weather or anything else that would stop me from going. I am beyond excited--not only about going, but about the great deal I got. See, kids, sometimes it pays to procrastinate.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Mmm, chocolate pudding :)

That was nice of him to give you guys a chicken. We have nice neighbors too. When we moved in, a lady across the cul-de-sac brought us home made chocolate chip cookies.

Ooh, those drivers bug me too, but I never see them get caught--that's awesome!

Yay for you coming to visit! You know, I only have 1 sister, but God blessed me with the best one He made :)

Moz + Pam said...

So glad you get to see your newest niece! I'm so excited at the great deal you got, too! Drivers like that bug me & you're not mean for rejoicing in him getting caught! He could have killed someone. We had great neighbors at 2 houses we lived at too! :)