Thursday, September 18, 2008

Smart little bugger

Ari is getting way too smart. Observe...


I've been listening to the "Mamma Mia!" soundtrack a lot lately, and as I've mentioned before, Ari loves the song "Honey, Honey." She'll even sometimes sing along with the song "Mamma Mia!" (just those words). I was driving home with her last night, and the CD was toward the end--a couple slow songs were playing, and Ari wasn't reacting at all to them. Then, the song "Take a Chance on Me" started, and I heard Ari squeal with delight. I turned around and she was just grinning away. So I guess she knows and likes that song as well. I skipped to "Honey, Honey" when that one was over, and before the words even started, she yelped, "Honey, honey!" See, who says having kids means you have to listen to a certain genre of music?


We were in Kohl's the other night, and Ari was being a little terror. Not that she was destroying anything, but she just refused to stay with us, and even took to hiding from us. And let me tell you, it can be hard to find a speedy little toddler among all those clothing racks. Anyway, when we got fed up with her behavior, I picked her up and held her the rest of the time we were there, explaining to her that she had to stay in my arms because she wasn't listening. Of course, being that she's a toddler, she kept struggling to get down, and we would go through this routine:

"Ari, down!" she would whine.

"No, you're not getting down. You're staying here because you didn't listen. What did Daddy tell you?"

"No running."

"That's right--no running. And you were running. So now Mommy has to hold you."

We probably went through that little spiel 4 or 5 times before we left. A couple hours later, we were in the waiting room at the hospital, waiting to see Micah. Ari was amusing herself with some foam toys, and when playing with them like a normal person got old, she started throwing them. I firmly told her, "No throwing." And, 2 minutes later, she was throwing them again.

"Ari, what did Mommy tell you?"

Without hesitation, she replied, "No running."

"Well, uh..." I stammered for a minute, and added, "Well, yes, no running--that's still true. But no throwing the toys, either."


Last night, we got home a little after Ari's bedtime, and she was wired. I let her play for a little while, and after a few minutes, I realized she was talking very loudly and very animatedly. I had assumed she was talking to the dogs (as she often does), but they weren't near her. I looked over at her, and she had one of her books (Bear Snores On) open on the coffee table and was "reading" it to herself--voice inflections and everything. I walked over and crouched down beside her. She was open to a page where the bear was crying. "Bear crying," she told me.

"You're right, he is. Why is he sad?" I asked.

"Ummmmm." She avoided the question by turning that page, to a page where the bear was smiling. "Bear happy!" she exclaimed.

"You're right, he's happy now. Why do you think he's happy?"

Again, she ignored me, and started babbling on about the mouse and the bunny rabbit that were on the page. But that was OK. I was impressed enough with what she'd already told me.

PS Only 8 more days until the cruise! Yes, I know there's a ticker right there that tells you so, but still... Tomorrow will be just one week!



Widgets & Flash Toys

1 comment:

Moz + Pam said...

Major Deja Vu! (Sp.?) When you were Ari's age up in Canada I went shopping @ K Mart one day. Not only did you hide from me but you hid real good. No one including the store employees could find you. Little rascal. Finally you opened one of those sliding doors under the shelves or we would never have found you! They even blocked all the exits thinking someone had abducted you! So I guess it's pay back time! LOL! ;)