Sunday, January 13, 2008

Happy birthday, Grampa

Today, my Grampa turned 90. He's in town, staying with my parents, so we went over there for lunch. And, of course, I have pictures.

First... in the car on the way there... she was being all cute, but as soon as I whipped out the camera, she started giving me fake smiles.



After lunch, we had cake for Grampa. Ari watched in awe as we all sang to him, staring mostly at the lit-up cake. When it came time to blow out the candles, I handed her to Tony so she could be closer to the cake. We told her to blow (because we've taught her to blow on her food when it's hot), but her little puffs did nothing but make the flames flicker a little. Grampa held out his hand toward her, and she took it--it was the sweetest moment, the two of them holding hands and blowing the candles out together. And of course I didn't think to grab my camera until after the moment had passed.

So my next picture is this--Ari handing Grampa his birthday card from us.



I like the look on her face in this one.



He gave her the envelope, which kept her occupied while he read the card.



I know you can't see either of their faces here, but she was giving him a hug.



Mom has this splint she wears on her finger sometimes (for her arthritic joint), and Ari just thought that was the coolest thing. Here, she's putting it on Tony's finger.



Later in the day, we tried to get a few more pictures of Ari with Grampa, but she was not in the mood.



Mom tried to intervene, thinking that if she held Ari, Ari might cooperate, but no such luck.



I think my Grampa really enjoyed spending time with her--you could see his eyes light up every time she was in the room. I think it's awesome that Ari has had the chance to get to know her great-grandfather. I never knew any of my great-grandparents--they had all passed away before I was born. I know Ari won't remember days like today, but at least she'll have these pictures to look back on.

Pictures like this one...

2 comments:

Mary said...

Ooh, I like her pink jumper. Is it corduroy? It looks like it. Anyway, that's cool that she got to hang out with Grampa, and except for posing for pictures, she was her usual charming self.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the last pic of her with her great-grampa!