Monday, November 29, 2010

Weekend highlights and pictures

That title is so boring, blah. But at least you know what this entry is about.


OK, so a quick recap of the long, long weekend. Thanksgiving Day was good... plenty of food, good company, etc. I didn't take any pictures, but my mom did, so I'm stealing these from her Facebook page...


Me and Tony...



Our spread. Toward the bottom of the pic, you can see the "placecards" my SIL Jess made... they're supposed to be little Mayflowers, with a pretzel-stick mast and candy corn inside the cup. She's so crafty.



I think Mom caught Ari by surprise. Or, maybe, caught her being up to no good.



Friday, we spent most of the day shopping. We didn't go out ridiculously early, but we still managed to find some good deals, and made a dent in our Christmas shopping list. Highlight of the day for Tony was finding the Polamalu jersey he wanted. He's been wanting a Steelers jersey, and he found a great deal at a store in the mall a few weeks ago, but all they had was Roethlisberger. He went ahead and got it anyway, and asked them to call him if they got a Polamalu in. This past Friday, since we were at the mall anyway, he decided to check the store again, and lo and behold, there was his Polamalu jersey. He got a great deal on both jerseys. And I guess this means I'm done Christmas shopping for him, so I'm happy too.


Later on, we were in another store, a gift and collectibles type of store. The owner came over to us and was telling us about their sales. When he was done, Ari said to me, "I wish I could buy something." She had 3 pennies in her hand--change from another store that we'd given to her.


I gently told her, "Well, sweetie, I don't think there's anything in this store you can buy for 3 pennies."


The shop owner looked down at Ari and said, "Wanna prove Mommy wrong?" Then he picked a rooster Beanie Baby off the shelf and handed it to her. "How about I sell this to you for 3 pennies?"


She nodded slowly, while I just blurted, "Are you serious?" And he was. So my little rascal got herself a $5.99 Beanie Baby for 3 cents. I'm pretty sure that was the highlight of her day... she hasn't let that rooster out of her sight since then.


And the highlight of my day? Discovering these in Wal-Mart...



Yes, they taste just like the Girl Scout cookies. So, so good.


Saturday, we decorated for Christmas--mainly, putting up the tree. We're going to do outdoor lights this year, but we need to take some measurements and then buy some before we can make that happen. Ari was even more excited about the tree than she was last year.


Ari putting the very first ornament on the tree--her new Barbie ornament. (Every year, we buy her a new ornament, and now that she's a little older, she helps pick it out.)



It lights up... I think that's the reason she likes it so much.



Wearing one of our Santa hats...



Since she didn't smile in the first shot, I tried to coax her into smiling for the next one, and this was the response I got...



Well, Merry Christmas to you, too, Miss Sulky.


Sunday was a fairly normal day... church, then lunch. And then the satellite receiver on the TV in the living room died on us. The receivers on the other TVs work fine, so it seems like some wiring went bad or something? Tony got on the phone with tech support and they had him try a bunch of stuff, none of which worked. So they're sending a technician out--but the soonest he can get here is Wednesday. Tony was bummed that he didn't get to watch his Steelers win.


And now, 'tis Monday... should be a fairly quiet, normal week. Probably the last one for a while, because it's going to be December by the end of the week, and then the holiday madness really starts. Bring it on!

3 comments:

Moz + Pam said...

Why couldn't Tony watch his Steelers game on another of the TVs?

Mary said...

Ari was probably up to no good :) Did she and Micah play well together? And is Lylah adorable in person? I must know these things :)

We shopped Friday too, but didn't get up early. Still found some good deals on clothes for all of us except Matthew--they didn't have his size :(

So cool on the Beanie Baby! What a nice guy to do that for her :)

We drove home Saturday, so we have yet to put up our tree. I did get the decorations up from the basement and set up my gingerbread things. And the lights have been on the outside of the house for a few weeks, and we just started turning them on.

Steve and Eden said...

Sounds like ya'll had a lot of fun!!!!