Tuesday, January 13, 2009

3 Ari stories

I came home from work one night last week, and when I stepped in the door and looked down the hall, I saw Ari standing at our sliding back door. Tony and the dogs were outside and Tony was staring at me through the glass with "A Look." It didn't take me long to figure out what had happened. Ari's known for a while how to lock and unlock that door. But the door also has this button on the floor as an extra security lock, and apparently, she's now figured out how to step on that button to lock the door... but hasn't learned how to unlock it. I showed her how (for future reference) and we let Tony in.

Tony stepped in and informed me, "I have been out there for a good 10 minutes trying to get her to unlock the door for me."

I had a quick chat with Ari about NOT playing with the doors and the locks on the doors... and made her apologize to Daddy. And as soon as she turned to him to do so, I turned my head away and died laughing.


Ari is becoming quite the little music lover, much to my delight. She still loves the "Mamma Mia!" soundtrack, and is even learning the words to "Honey, Honey." And as cute as that is, I have to admit that it's a tad disconcerting to hear my 2-year-old sing, "He's a love machine, oh he makes me dizzy." So, in an effort to broaden Ari's musical horizons, I've been forcing her to listen to "The Little Mermaid" Broadway soundtrack in my car. She protested at first, but I suckered her in by enthusiastically telling her, "It's Ariel! You know, princess Ariel? This is her, singing!" She was quiet, and skeptical (yes, I could tell) at first, but I know I am winning her over, because she's starting to request "the Ariel song" from me at bedtime. Of course, this could be anything from "Part of Your World" to "The World Above" to "Beyond my Wildest Dreams" (or even parts of "If Only"... hmm, they really did add a lot of songs to the Broadway show), since she doesn't yet know the difference. So really, everyone wins here. She gets to learn some new songs, and I have more song options at bedtime. (Note to self: Get over "Little Mermaid" obsession and find more kid-friendly music for Ari.)


We were watching football Sunday night--Tony was happy because his precious Steelers were playing, and winning. So they scored, and Tony yelled really loudly. Ari just kind of looked at him, so he told her, "Say 'Go Steelers!'" She obediently yelled, "Go Steelers!" Then no more than 10 seconds later, something else happened, and Tony yelled, "Holy crap!" And Ari also yelled, "Holy crap!" And me, I just laughed.


And that's all. But knowing Ari, I'll have more stories soon.

2 comments:

Mary said...

I think at Christmas Mom gave me some Wee Sing Bible Songs on CD. She gave me a Christmas one, but she also gave me one that's got the general classic Sunday school-type songs. I think there's like 60 songs on there, but they are short little ditties. For instance, they only sing through Jesus Loves Me once I think, so I guess that's why they can get so many songs on there.

Then there's always Veggies Tales. Or better yet, get her those Animaniac songs that sing all the countries or states or presidents. You'd really impress people then ;)

Oh yeah, and Baby Beluga is a Raffi song, though I've heard that some parents get tired of those songs after a while. I don't know though, Baby Beluga is a classic (from Full House, of course) :)

Matthew already shows a like for music. When he can get any of his toys to play music, his whole face lights up and he just smiles so happily. He also likes it when I sing to him.

I don't think he loves reading as much as Ari does. He'll look at books with me, but he usually wants to move onto something else pretty quickly. Or he gets into the rhythm of turning pages and tries to do it before I've even finished reading what's on the page :)

Anyways...happy music hunting!

Moz + Pam said...

Tony better start bringing his keys with him outdoors! That way he'll have another option through the front door at least! I learned that the first time Pete locked me out of the house when I was getting the mail! LOL!